Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

the coil?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i woke up yesterday morning and went in my shower and something in my lower stomach didnt feel right. i went down and felt to see if it was anything to with my coil that has just been fitted about 3 weeks ago and it was half hanging out :| i could actually feel it hanging out not just the threads. so i just pulled the rest out, i know it said that yours not supposed to pull it out but it was so uncomfortable. it felt weird when it was getting pulled out but i cant explain it, it feels fine now but do you think anything could be wrong? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    I would go to your Dr/GUM clinic just to be on the safe side!

Eek..I'm having the coil fitted in a few weeks and this has freaked me out a little :nervous:
  • Options
    Hi guys,

Sometimes the coil does slip out in the first few weeks after it is fitted - it can take a while for it to settle. The doctors recommend feeling for the threads every now and again to check it is still there - and having a check up after three to six weeks to make sure it is still in place. So it's probably nothing to worry about remorria, it's probably just slipped out and the doctor can replace it for you.

After it's settled in place, it's really uncommon for it to come out or move - but doctors recommend checking for the threads after your period each month. There's a bit more information on the IUD (coil) from Brook here - but do chat to the doctor or nurse about any worries you have too
    :)
  • Options
    well should it bleed if its been removed? and can it cause damage when its removed? i cant get an appointment till next thursday so :/
  • Options
    Hi remorria,

How are you feeling now?

Light bleeding after the coil has been fitted is quite common - one of the side effects of the coil is vaginal bleeding. It's also possible that, as it came out, it scratched you slightly.

It's unlikely to have caused further damage than that - especially as it sounds like it slipped out most of the way itself anyway. They are designed to be able to be pulled out reasonably easily (although usually by a doctor). If you are still concerned, give NHS Direct a call - hopefully they can reassure you further.

Hopefully, you're experiencing less bleeding now and can speak to your doctor in more detail on Thursday. If you start to experiences heavier bleeding or pain you could always make an emergency appointment earlier - just call up your doctor first thing in the morning and ask for an emergency appointment. Also - remember to use other contraception for now as you won't be protected in the meantime.

:)