Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Anti Depressants ??? Citalopram

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
heya im not really sure where im suppose to post this but my doctor
gave me anti depressants today called Citalopram... do they make you gain weight pplease be honest else ill just wont take them so honest answers plzzzz

Comments

• Options
    Citalopram isn't associated with weight gain.

I take it and have managed to lose a bit of weight through diet and exercise whilst on it.
  • Options
    citalopram won't make you gain weight. i'm just like you, i refuse to take anything that could cause weight gain, and i'm on citalopram at the moment. it's really, honestly nothing to worry about.

hope you get on ok with them :)
  • Options
    I'm tooooo scared to take them ive read you gain loads,
    lots of ppl have gained over a stone,, how long u been on them?
    ru eating normally when i say normal i mean 2,000 cals ? xx
  • Options
    Hi depressedgal,

It's really great that you have been to your doctor and spoken to them. Well done.

The side effects of Citalopram are listed as weight loss as well as weight gain - and most people find it doesn't affect their body weight at all.

In general the change in weight, whether up or down, is not to do with the drug itself - it's not an uncontrollable change that the medicine controls. For people who have gained weight while on Citalopram or other anti depressants, it seems that, when they were depressed or anxious they ate less as a result, but now they feel more positive they eat a bit more. Similarly, some people have lost weight because when they were unhappy they did a lot of comfort eating, whereas now they are feeling better they don't need to eat so much.

However, it's always worth working with your doctor. If you are really concerned and feel that this worry will stop you taking them, it's worth going back to see them and talking to your doctor about your worries - they could reassure you about Citalopram or suggest something different which makes you feel more comfortable. You might also find it helpful to look at this article on alternatives to antidepressants so you know more about what else is available to help you.

Hope this helps a bit :)
  • Options
    thanks evryone :)

Went to docs in a crisis today as cut loads and i mean loads,
    cut my scars open .. now that hurt :crying:
    she took the anti depressants of me prob think ill OD as was suicidal!!

Cut deep twice not proper bad unforuntly but i completly lost it i wanted to kill myself doc rang crisis team so they cud text me but they ent allowed to text why have a mobile number if cant text :(
    anyway there guna ring my care worker 2moz :(
    no-one listens to me care worker isnt helpful when comes to problems shes hurt me for ages the mental health teams let me write now care workers being DREAD and baning me from writing she knows if i dont write ill bottle things and will end up seriosuly hurting or killing myself..so why do it.. i swear she wants me dead, i no u guys will say shes trying to help but she said to me its up to me if i kill myself

im guna post this on a forum as need advice etc hope it wont be a problem

im going on now so im going and cud do with a gd nights sleep i just dont know what to do,
    im scared and alone !!!
    i hate myself and i deserve to be dead
    Geeze my arms kill sting like a bitch i deserve it tho so shudnt moan im sorry

:( :crying: