Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Stitches

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Yesterday my bf smashed his eyebrow open and needed a couple of stitches, however he was given no advice on things like when should he take off the dressing and will he be able to shower?

If anyone can help us out, and maybe give us some of the info the hospital neglected to, it would be much appreciated

Comments

• Options
    Thats really bad that they didn't give you advice.

They do say to keep the area of the stiches dry but obvoiusly they don't bear in mind that people want to shower! Whenever i've had stiches i shower as normal but make sure that i dry the area really well after and put a new dressing on it.

:)
  • Options
    You tried NHS Direct?
  • Options
    When I had my c-section they had my dressing off the next day (and left it off), and I was allowed to shower after 24 hours.

Their advice for wound care was just to keep it clean and dry (washing is fine, just dry it carefully afterwards) and expose it to the air as much as you can - obviously this is easier with an eyebrow than a bikini line!
  • Options
    Did they say what kind of stitches they are?...if they are dissolvable ones then they will dissolve over time although generally they use just a normal stitch which will need a practice nurse/district nurse to remove.
    I'd get him to ring his GP and speak to them and see what they say. It could have been that the hospital have sent a referral to his Dr's and arranged for them to be removed but in that case they would have most probably told you :chin:
  • Options
    yeh, this is strange they didn't tell him! they at least usually give you a 'wound care' leaflet!

http://www.swast.nhs.uk/publications/leaflets/LP016.pdf <<<
  • Options
    My man had stitches earlier this year and was adviced to put vaseline on it to help it heal well. And not to exercise vigorously for a whille to give it the best chance of healing.
  • Options
    with my stitches recently they were kept covered for 10 days and i wasnt allowed to get them wet
  • Options
    He was refered to the GP to get them out this friday, but thats all he was told really, I got the head injury leaflet but he got naff about about looking the stitches and was told nowt by the docs when he was being treated.

He's been keeping them as dry as possible, but has to shower and since its at his eyebrow cant be kept totally dry but everything seems to be fine.

Thanks for helping me out guys :)