Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

net so slow!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
and it's anoying me so much ha. :confused:

what internet providers do you all use and how are your internet speeds?

*hug*

any tips how i can improve my speed?

Comments

• Options
    The speed (at least for ADSL) is to a large extent determined by physical factors (hardware, quality of cabling, distance from the exchange) more so than your choice of provider. (Though some may be better than others). If you're running your modem off a long internal extension cable, for example, then you might benefit from switching it over to a router closer to the main telephone socket.
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    The speed (at least for ADSL) is to a large extent determined by physical factors (hardware, quality of cabling, distance from the exchange) more so than your choice of provider. (Though some may be better than others). If you're running your modem off a long internal extension cable, for example, then you might benefit from switching it over to a router closer to the main telephone socket.

thank you.

will see what happens when i try that.
  • Options
    I'm on Virgin 10Mbit and if I hit 3GB in the space of 6 hours, my speed drops to 2.5Mbit. Therefore, be careful when you're watching high definition videos on Youtube.
  • Options
    I'm on 20Mb but can hit 4MB easily, never been capped yet, even with downloading hundreds of gigs in a few hours. Though getting sick of Virgin now, they never own up to a mistake and their support is just awful.
  • Options
    With Sky on 20Mbit, however the lines haven't been upgraded so I'm currently getting about 11Mbit.

Means I can download an MP3 in about 2 seconds though :D
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    With Sky on 20Mbit, however the lines haven't been upgraded so I'm currently getting about 11Mbit.

Means I can download an MP3 in about 2 seconds though :D

:crazyeyes

want to download that fast!.

for 1 mp3 it takes me about 15 minits.

:crying:

anoys me so much
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    I'm on 20Mb but can hit 4MB easily, never been capped yet, even with downloading hundreds of gigs in a few hours. Though getting sick of Virgin now, they never own up to a mistake and their support is just awful.

There is a capping in place for all VM users. Its within a 4 hour period. They added this after the merge from NTL. 20Mb users have a bigger range than a 10Mb user!
  • Options
    I know there is, that's why I said I haven't been capped yet. I've downloaded 80GB in the space of 4hours before and wasn't capped. Though my friend does every few hours for 2-3 hours at a time but he downloads and uploads tons daily.
  • Options
    Depends on the time of day - they only(!!) throttle from 10am to 3pm, then 4pm to 9pm. Outside of those times, you can grab what you like...
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    I've downloaded 80GB in the space of 4hours before and wasn't capped.

What speed are you on? :confused:
  • Options
    I'm on Virgin 20Mb broadband. It usually doesn't drop below 15Mb. Do cable companies have contention ratios like on wire phone cables?
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    I'm on Virgin 20Mb broadband. It usually doesn't drop below 15Mb. Do cable companies have contention ratios like on wire phone cables?

As far as I'm aware no. Mine never drops below 19 but it all depends on the signal levels coming in to the house, if there a little on the low side it can effect your speed.
  • Options
    You probably need to head out Californy way, to get you some internet.
  • Options
    :crazyeyes

want to download that fast!.

for 1 mp3 it takes me about 15 minits.

:crying:

anoys me so much

That sounds like dial up speeds.