Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How to open up / feel something

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was in a pretty amazing relationship for a few years, that ended last year. I say amazing, because the way it made me feel - you know how people say 'you're lucky if you find one love like that in a lifetime' - well this felt like it was that love for me.

But it ended, which was a long time coming really (things weren't really so great in the cold harsh light of day), and it took me some time to come to terms with that and I have now. I still think about her, and still have fond memories of the way she made me feel... "something worth dying for" I thought to myself earlier. Maybe that's melodramatic, but I hope a lot of people will sympathise with the sentiment!

So, with the emotional baggage of 'oh, the love of my life is gone from my life' dealt with at least in terms of not suffering all day every day and being able to enjoy normal life, the problem is moving forward. I'm seeing someone new, who is great. She's really frigging awesome. She's nuts about me too, maybe too much sometimes :p (she almost treats me like her first love I guess, but that's not a completely bad thing) and I care about her a great deal.

The problem is my emotions seem to be completely ring fenced. Like I'm detached from them. I try to imagine what I would feel if she left me, if she cheated on me, if something terrible happened... and when I imagine I just don't feel anything. I know I wouldn't be pleased, but it would be more like 'hmm, ok, thats a shame, keep in touch'. This coming from a guy so sensitive that in the past I could seriously upset myself just with my imagination going wild :p.

This has been playing on my mind for a while and I've kinda refrained about posting, hoping it would sort itself out, but it hasn't really. When I had counselling she said I may have had commitment issues in part due to my dad dying and so generally either a) got incredibly attached and devoted to people so they couldn't leave or b) kept them at arms length so it wouldn't hurt if they did leave.

Comments

• Options
    hey SB, i think its really great you are exploring these issues, especially regarding commitment, i know a lot of guys who just don't care!
    I don't have a definite answer, but some opinions?
    Maybe you have got past that 'obsessional' first love stage? this can only be a good thing! how long have you been going out w/this girl? deep feelings like love may take a while to develop :) or she may not be a 'love' but a 'really really like a lot' relationship, and this isn't a bad thing either :)
    let me know what you think x
  • Options
    I know exactly how you feel like, because I feel myself so emotionally blunted that I seem to not care about stuff with girls that made me hogwild years ago, but I try to look on the brightside and tell myself I just emotionally matured and am just not that much of a hotspur anymore and that I can deal with my feelings better. I don't really know how much I can really feel for a girl. There is one in my life, but we are on square one, so lets see what this develops into, but I found myself not to be crashed and burned when it does not work out, even tho she might be the closest to "the one" I ever met yet.
  • Options
    If it were me I'd spend some time examining my feelings for this girl, certainly before taking and running with it to emotional detachment or commitment issues. Occam's razor and all that. Best of luck, dude!
  • Options
    I think you should just enjoy it for what it is, you can't force feelings for someone and your lack of feelings for her doesn't mean you're lacking feeling or that your ex will be a legendary person that no one else will live up to. She sounds like just a stop-gap relationship person, which is fine.
  • Options
    If it were me I'd spend some time examining my feelings for this girl, certainly before taking and running with it to emotional detachment or commitment issues. Occam's razor and all that. Best of luck, dude!

:yes:

My thoughts exactly. I wouldn't be in a hurry to extrapolate from your lukewarm feelings from this girl that you therefore must have emotional problems or commitment issues. Perhaps you're just not that into her?
  • Options
    Well I wasn't meaning to extrapolate, I was mainly speculating. It's not just her though, it's the whole idea of a relationship just doesn't turn me on these days.

I probably do need to think about my feelings for her a bit deeper, though I do know I'm extremely fond of her and love spending. I just don't feel like I feel heartbroken if she went.

If you are used to feeling things about people and then you get to a stage where do you don't feel much really - not numb, but just really muted, like they're someone elses feelings, it's weird and alien and unusual. Others might be right that this is just part of growing up, becoming emotionally mature etc.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I probably do need to think about my feelings for her a bit deeper, though I do know I'm extremely fond of her and love spending. I just don't feel like I feel heartbroken if she went.

See this as an advantage. You get the good stuff, but not the bad. It doesn't have to be a mental issue, you might have just matured a bit.

Like I said, I can empathize.

To paraphrase something Dwight K. Schrute hast said, "If you tried to hurt my feelings, you have succeeded, but luckily my feelings regenerate twice the speed of a normal man's."

I have no idea if this makes any sense, but I just thought about it, and it made me giggle, cuz Dwight is hilarious.
  • Options
    I'm a bit worried that my boyfriend feels like this. He broke up with the love of his life over a year ago, and we've been together a little while, but he's seems quite mechanical almost about his feelings. I know he likes seeing me, and spending time with me, but I'm just not sure the whole heart skipping, butterflies, taking breath away feeling is there... And so this kinda makes me feel apathetic like this in return.

But I've come to the conclusion to be more easy-going about it, and less analytic. Maybe it's a sign of growing up not getting that feeling anymore, but I'd like to think I'd feel that again with the right person. Or maybe it's just the person. But perhaps look at it as, do you want to see her tomorrow? Do you want to answer when she calls? If it's yes, then just keep going like that! You never know, if something awful did happen, like she cheated on you or something, you may find it would hurt more than you think at the moment. But if you like spending time with her, I wouldn't over-analyse it :)
  • Options
    I totally know how you feel, my first love split up with me 2 1/2 years ago now and I've never really wanted a relationship with anyone since. I'm sort of in 2 minds about it, like I really miss the aspect of having someone loving and caring about you in a way no one else does, the closeness etc. But then I also find the idea of being someones gf terrifying because then that puts me in a position to get hurt again - and what I went through was the hardest thing I've ever had to do and it took me about a year to feel normal again. It does worry me sometimes that I've put up too much of a barrier but I'm sure I'll be able to open up when I meet the right person. Sounds like you're kinda in the same position. I just say go with your gut feeling but still give things a ago and be open to potential.
  • Options
    ^^ I'm the same as you Ballerina (not a first love, but a strong one) and now i do feel quite closed off, but feelings wise im taking it a day at a time and just 'going with' whatever feelings arise, and yeh, not overanalyzing them :)