Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Stopping Pill: How Long Before Pregnant?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is just out of curiosity, but for any of those who were on the pill for quite a while and then decided to try for a baby, how long was it until you became pregnant? Obviously this varies from woman to woman and it can take a while for everything to get back to normal, but what were your experiences?

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    For me, I finished the pill packet, had a normal period one month later and then the following month I was pregnant. I was on cerazette.

I was one of the extremely lucky ones. It doesn't normally happen that quickly.
  • Options
    For me, I finished the pill packet, had a normal period one month later and then the following month I was pregnant. I was on cerazette.

I was one of the extremely lucky ones. It doesn't normally happen that quickly.

How long were you on the pill for? Has it take a lot longer for others you know then?
  • Options
    being on the pill shouldnt affect your chances of getting pregnant afterwards.
    Once you come off the pill, normal fertility would resume straight away.
    That doesnt mean youd become pregnant straight away, just that the pill would have no bearing on how long it takes.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    squeal wrote: »
    How long were you on the pill for? Has it take a lot longer for others you know then?

I had been on the pill for about 8 years. During that time I had about 3 different ones. I was fairly fast getting pregnant. It *can* take three months for your cycle and things to get back to normal and *can* take longer to get pregnant.

Have a scooch on the internet. There are loads of website and forums telling you other peoples experiences. It can vary hugely. But, bare in mind, no 2 woman's experiences will be the same.
  • Options
    Thanks for replying both of you.

I know that they recommend you wait at least one - three months before trying after coming off the pill, did you manage to have at least one period before becoming pregnant or none at all? Like you said it can take a while for your cycle to get back to normal.
  • Options
    I was on the pill for 12 years and got pregnant in the third month after coming off.

I read that the average time is 4 to 6 months after coming off. I don't think it matters how long you were on it!
  • Options
    but how come women can get pregnant when missing one pill?
  • Options
    Because life is cruel like that - when you don't want to get pregnant it all seems ridiculosly easy to make a small mistake and end up pregnant and when you do want to get pregnant it can take forever, I think the average for people who have no problems is 5 months.

There is only a 48 hour window each month when you can get pregnant so its all about timing and luck (or lack of it).