Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Laptop

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Argh, I wish I was better at techy stuff!

My laptop is getting slower and slower, and its got a problem with just going into hibernate mode randomly. (Don't think its anything to do with overheating as it can either happen half an hour in, or hours later).

I wanted to restore it to factory settings, but I've lost the disks (:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: ) and as I already created one copy it won't let me create another copy.

Can one of you guys help me? Any options?

Got an HP laptop running windows vista.

Comments

• Options
    HP gave you restore disks?!

I don't know why that would happen without getting my hands on the machine, but I think you should check how many processes are normally running after startup (check the system tray for a quick indication) and see if any rogue process is hogging resources. Also, are you using Firefox? if so try downloading the latest version, un-install your installed version and re-install the downloaded latest version.
  • Options
    HP gave you restore disks?!

I don't know why that would happen without getting my hands on the machine, but I think you should check how many processes are normally running after startup (check the system tray for a quick indication) and see if any rogue process is hogging resources. Also, are you using Firefox? if so try downloading the latest version, un-install your installed version and re-install the downloaded latest version.

Nah, it had some sort of recovery disk creator programme on it, so made them when I first started it up.

Will look into your other suggestions tomorrow, thanks :)
  • Options
    I would suggest considering getting hold of a copy of Windows 7 and installing that on the laptop if you're thinking of restoring it to how it was.

Remember to save ALL your work, savegames, pictures, music etc. to a USB stick beforehand!!

The Windows 7 install is very straight forward but it will erase EVERYTHING on your laptop so you will have to start from scratch.

Whether this will cure the hibernate problem I don't know as it may be a hardware fault. But it doesn't hurt to try!!
  • Options
    Have you tried restoring it back a few days? NOTE: this isn't the same as what you're saying in your OP.
  • Options
    Is it hibernating whilst you're still using it, or just when it's been left for a while? If the latter, it could be power saving options.
  • Options
    it may just need a simple defragmentation.
  • Options
    Hey guys

So I tried some of your suggestions, got my friend's dad to look at it, but in the end I found a programme already installed which allowed me to restore it to factory settings without the disks, so did that.

I've got everything backed up.. well I say everything - I think I may have lost my bookmarks, but apart from that I think I've got everything :)

One thing however... I've obviously lost Microsoft Office. I think (and hope!) that I have the disks and the product key somewhere, and so it may be OK!

For future reference though.. is there anyway to deactivate a version? Because obviously when you buy it, it only allows you to use the product key say 5 times.. So now I'm going to have to use up another installation even though its the same computer. Understand what I mean? Anyway around it?

Edit - oh another question. I can now make another set of recovery disks... if I make them after I install a load of software will it include that or just literally the factory settings stuff?