Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Scabies dont laff

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i think i might have a dose of scabies.

i have purchased the cream and applied it 2 my body and im waiting 24 hours.

ive collected my bedding and clothing i've worn and im washing it now.

im feeling a bit disturbed about the thought of reinfection? will it be on carpets and my cds and anything i've touched? i feel as tho theyre crawling on me and im going a bit insane.

i'm more worried about my clothing and having them living in there and coming back. after this i NEVER want to repeat this experience ever again. even buying the cream was upsetting.

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I you make sure you wash all your bedding, linen, clothes, and clean everywhere and follow the instructions on the cream you should be ok. If I remember rightly scabies can't live for very long without human contact.

Also, I would be more worried about how you managed to catch it and the possibility of you catching it again the same way. Also, make sure that anyone you have recently been in contact with is notified as they will possibly have it also.

I had scabies once, our whole flat and boyfriends etc had it (eventually there were over 20 people!) and eventually we just saw the funny side. We caught it because the boyfriend of our flatmate had caught it from someone else.

EDIT: Here is a website you may find useful.
  • Options
    20 people!
    I haven't had sex for a little while and haven't had that much close skin contact. I go through stages of seeing the funny side, I think that's something that will come in time.

i got it from my friend (99% sure) cos i let him move in with me and he brought that in with him. he expressed concern his scabies has returned and i assume it had cos the little tiny scabs on my legs look like his exactly.

i think i should consider councellin cos im feeling a bit dirty and i dont think its very healthy to think about these tiny things in my skin eating away at my flesh.

oh and im startin uni soon so didnt wanna spread it. it'll be good cos i've used treatment and will b moving 2 a new environment away from the scabies so hopefully they'll die at home and when i come back from uni they wont bite me no more.
    what if i go to uni and everyone gets it. omg.

this is what u get for being nice and helping a friend!
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Nostromo wrote:
    20 people!
    I haven't had sex for a little while and haven't had that much close skin contact. I go through stages of seeing the funny side, I think that's something that will come in time.

i got it from my friend (99% sure) cos i let him move in with me and he brought that in with him. he expressed concern his scabies has returned and i assume it had cos the little tiny scabs on my legs look like his exactly.

i think i should consider councellin cos im feeling a bit dirty and i dont think its very healthy to think about these tiny things in my skin eating away at my flesh.

oh and im startin uni soon so didnt wanna spread it. it'll be good cos i've used treatment and will b moving 2 a new environment away from the scabies so hopefully they'll die at home and when i come back from uni they wont bite me no more.
    what if i go to uni and everyone gets it. omg.

this is what u get for being nice and helping a friend!

I would definitely make sure that your friend is treated at the same time as you. If you do not get treated at the same time then you won't eradicate them and they will come back.

I also think you would be surprised at how common scabies actually is. So don't be embarrassed and things. Scabies can go to the cleanest of people, it is just unfortunate that these people come in contact with unclean people.

The scabies won't spread as long as you and your friend (and anyone else) has been treated properly. So don't worry about bringing it to uni unless you don't do it all properly. And if you treat yourself properly it won't spread.

Good luck with it all. And stop worrying about it.
  • Options
    how come talkin bout things like this, like headlice and stuff, always makes me itch lol
  • Options
    thanks LOADS for ur responses guys

i think the word "scabies" has so many bad connotations in society and everyone uses it in a derogatory way - as an insult about people - so when u suffer from it it makes you take that on board and feel bad.

after reading online about it i feel a bit better about it and realise its not so much worse than most skin/dermal problems.

i also read they need 126 degrees F for ten minutes to kill them - i washed my clothes at 40 degrees C. so they need about ten more degrees so i'll put them in the dryer and blast them in the heat and get them killed. i think knowledge is the best way to fight such things instead of sitting around being sad while they breed.

my main concern at present is what if one little S. scabei survives and re-opens the whole can of worms.... but just have to do the best i can...
  • Options
    Mia16 wrote:
    how come talkin bout things like this, like headlice and stuff, always makes me itch lol

our night of passion really did it for you, huh :lol:
  • Options
    :lol: you wish :p
  • Options
    Scabies is a common skin infection that causes small itchy bumps and blisters due to tiny mites that burrow into the top layer of human skin to lay their eggs. These bites may best be visualized only under the microscope. These parasites may easily be spread by direct contact. You cannot get scabies from a pet. Pets get a different mite infection called mange.
    Symptoms are:
    *pimple-like irritations
    *rash-intense itching especially at night and over most of the body
    *sores on the body caused by scratching

The constant scratching of the tiny burrows of the scabies mite may also result with dry, cracked areas of the skin which may sting intensely upon contact with water or soap, adding still to discomfort of the individual with the skin condition. Several lotions are available to treat scabies that was prescribed by your dermatologist or doctor.

Here are the other steps to stop the spread of scabies:
    *The infected person’s clothes, bedding and towels should be washed in hot water and dried in hot dryer.
    *Good personal hygiene must be maintained.
    *Limiting close physical contact with others until appropriate treatment has commenced.
    *Avoid sharing clothes, towels, or bed linen with others.

I've tried a cream before when I got scabies allergy rashes. I asked my doctor about this cream and after 3 weeks or a month if I was not mistaken, my allergy rash was gone.:thumb: