Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Got a friend who self harms?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Can be tough at times, I know from experience
I have a couple of really close friends who self harm, sometimes I just need to get it out, usually on boards like this
But I feel that its all worth it, even the slightest positive thing makes it all worth it

Anyone else have friends who self harm?
Do you feel you make a difference?

x

Comments

• Options
    Your helping them by just being there for them. As long as they know your with them through it all and if they want a chat then your there. It's just reasurring that you have someone to turn to. It can seen that you aren't making a difference, but you are. I used to self harm and just having a supportive friend is really encouraging. I also have a few friends that self harm and yh it does feel like I'm not making a difference but hopefully it helps. It can be hard to know the right thing to say sometimes though
  • Options
    Hey Jenjen6,

Seems you are quite new to posting on the boards, so welcome and happy posting.

You sound like a really good friend. As you say, it can be tough supporting someone who harms themselves. It is really important to take care of yourself too though and be aware of your limits. Seems that you vent your feelings on boards like this - which is a really good way of coping with the frustration and sadness that can come along with supporting someone that harms.

Have you seen this story? - 'When a friend self-harms'

You may also want to check out this info page that we have on here too?

Also, it's worth considering that people often have to find their own solutions and inner-strength to stop self-harming and to continue to stay away from it, if that's what they want. Ultimatley, you are not responsible for a friends's actions or choices.

Take care of yourself and keep posting, :)