Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

iPhone Question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have a jail-broken iPhone that I use on the vodafone network from when O2 had the sole UK rights.

Now that vodafone (and others) sell iPhones, should my SIM now work with the standard, downloadable iPhone software? Does the software detect that the vodafone service is now enabled? Or will my phone have to be continually 'jail-broken'? Any ideas? I would like to use the default iPhone software version if I can. :)

Comments

• Options
    It's the baseband that needs hacking, which is updated when you install new firmware, so it will update back to being Vodafone only. There are already jailbreaks being made that will prevent the update of the baseband so you won't need to.
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    It's the baseband that needs hacking, which is updated when you install new firmware, so it will update back to being Vodafone only. There are already jailbreaks being made that will prevent the update of the baseband so you won't need to.

So does the software installed from iTunes to update my phone version somehow 'know' that vodafone is a legitimate iPhone supplier?

And if so, if I abandon my jailbroken version for the latest downloaded iTunes version, it should work with my vodafone SIM?

Basically, as mentioned before, I used a jailbreak because I needed to hang onto my vodafone SIM - but if vodafone is a legit supplier, can I just go ahead and load the unbroken version from Apple?
  • Options
    I'm not sure, because Vodafone are a offical supplier of the iPhone 4 only, and that uses MicroSIM.

But the baseband is tied to phone and that is "tethered" to a carrier, the original being O2. I'll see if I can find more info for you and I'll get back to you. I haven't thought much about it.
  • Options
    Restore your Firmware and pop into an o2 store, they unlock your iPhone now... I did mine online (Business customer) not sure if it applies to customers.... but within 14 days and bam! :)
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    I'm not sure, because Vodafone are a offical supplier of the iPhone 4 only, and that uses MicroSIM.

But the baseband is tied to phone and that is "tethered" to a carrier, the original being O2. I'll see if I can find more info for you and I'll get back to you. I haven't thought much about it.

Thanks JK. If you do find anything out, I'd be most grateful. :)

p.s. Vodafone sell the 3G and 3GS model at the moment too - they are not just waiting for the new v4. This is why I am confused as to how the iPhone firmware detects whether a phone is from a legitimate service provider.
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote: »
    Restore your Firmware and pop into an o2 store, they unlock your iPhone now... I did mine online (Business customer) not sure if it applies to customers.... but within 14 days and bam! :)

I didn't get my current iPhone off O2 so not sure if they would help. What did they do to 'unlock' it though?
  • Options
    Seems it's exactly the same as before, can't find info on carriers unlocking your iPhone's for you on consumer level. But you just need to have the unlocked baseband using the newer boot roms (which iOS 4 will have a open-non-restricted baseband but only the iPhone 4.)

http://www.ithinkdiff.com/jailbreak-and-unlock-ios-4-on-iphone-3g-98612/