Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Stuck between two guys

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
o

Comments

• Options
    I would have said option 2 if you hadn't said your flat rental was up in July. That's not that far away now and I think if you can, you should leave it until then just to save yourself the extra hassle of trying to sort out all the logistics early when they will be sorting themselves out in a few weeks. That's only unless it is really unbearable for you to live with him until then, though, or if his behaviour is such that it is hurting you or causing you distress - obviously in that case I would advise getting out as soon as you can. I too had to leave a five year relationship with someone I was living with and I know it's not easy, but you have to trust your instincts and to be fair it does sound like you've given this a lot of thought and aren't making a hasty decision.

In terms of bloke 2, my advice would be (as per option 2) that you'll need some time to yourself following the break-up to get your head together and let things settle. However, I know life doesn't always work like that, and it may be that once you're out of the relationship and the flat that things become a lot clearer and you decide to give it a go straight away. Just take that as it comes; deal with the immediate issues (the end of your relationship and the house move) first and then hopefully you should be in a better frame of mind to decide what to do about Mr 2.

Good luck with it all - I can well remember that horrible confusing despairing feeling of knowing what you have to do but really not wanting to do it - but you can do it, and it will get easier. Keep posting and let us know how things go :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply.

I think what you've said is what my head's telling me to do. I think I need to be with myself and figure out what I actually want. I guess what makes it hard is my feelings for Mr 2.

If I wait until the end of my flat rental then I think it will be a bit easier on all of us. I haven't really felt like it's been going great for a while with Mr 1 but I have had feelings for him in the past and would want to spare him being hurt as much as possible.

I might talk to Mr 1 see if he's feeling like our relationship isn't what it should be, might be best for us to call it off. However long we've been together doesn't mean we should stay together if one/both of us are unhappy.
  • Options
    Award wrote: »
    I might talk to Mr 1 see if he's feeling like our relationship isn't what it should be, might be best for us to call it off. However long we've been together doesn't mean we should stay together if one/both of us are unhappy.

Sounds as if you have already made the right decision. Perhaps it was the act of writing down your feelings that helped you put things into context.

My only worry would be your asking Mr 1 how he feels about your relationship. You say yourself that he is very controlling. This part of your relationship will be very important to him. If you leave him, he will have no one to control and it will impact on his self-esteem. He is likely to try and talk you out of going ... and, if you do leave, he may not accept that the relationship is over.

Rather than talking to him as you have suggested, I would simply tell him how you feel and end the relationship with the tenancy. He'll tell you that you'll never make it on your own. He'll ask if there is someone else. It'll be a bumpy ride for a while, but I am sure things will work themselves out for the best. Good luck.
  • Options
    I may have got the wrong end of the stick but the bit that jumped out at me was
    But our rental ends in July and he's moving away to another city and I'm moving with a friend.
    So he initially stops you seeing your friends, knocks your self-confidence and you went to uni in the same city to be with him etc, but he is allowed to jump cities and move away, presumably because he wants too (also you are allowed to move in with a friend now?)?
    I say get rid of him. He shouldn't be controlling you like this.
  • Options
    Yeah, he's allowed to move away I was told to stay here for uni.

He's not too keen about the friend thing next year but my parents have moved away so there's no family for me to fall back on here. I think me living with a female friend is better in his eyes than me living with a bunch of randoms (which could include blokes).

Decided not to talk to him about how he's feeling.

Things have been a bit off for a while now, it feels like it'd be easier to let go than I've once thought.

Thanks for all of the opinions.
  • Options
    Decided not to talk to him about how he's feeling.

Things have been a bit off for a while now, it feels like it'd be easier to let go than I've once thought.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Did it yesterday. Well I tried.

He's trying to win me over with flowers, chocolates, poetry.

I'm finding it hard to stand my ground. Maybe it's easier ust to go back to how things were. Yeah I wont be happy but he seems to want it.

I shouldn't just fall back on my word though.

Argh! :banghead:
  • Options
    ... Maybe it's easier ust to go back to how things were. Yeah I wont be happy but he seems to want it.

Sorry, don't say I didn't warn you. Of course he wants you to stay. He's nothing without you to control.

You deserve to have your own friends. You deserve to have a life of your own. You deserve happiness. Things will only get worse if you stay.

Stand your ground. End it.