Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Gym equipment ID please

I saw something recently which I would like to try and get for myself but I'm not sure what it's called. You stand on a circular plate about the diameter of a large pizza just a couple of inches up from the floor. At arm-level, there are two static handlebars to hold onto. The plate is free to spin on its centre. Twisting your middle body, your feet will turn the plate while the upper body and arms remains static with the handlebars. I have looked around a few online gym shops and Argos, and the nearest I could find was a "vibration plate" and cost several hundreds of pounds. Vibration plates seem to run off electricity, but this device I'm after is definitely mechanical human-powered. If someone could please point me in the right direction, that would be ace! Sorry if this should have been under sport, but I'm posting due to health motive.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What is its purpose? It sounds like a rotary ab machine thing I've seen at my gym. That has weights on it, does the one you speak of? (kind of similar to http://www.commfitnessproducts.com/uploads/product_image/RotaryTorso.jpg )... or it sounds like some infomercial cardio things as well (like http://www.hotai.cc/UploadFiles/20098515347181.jpg )
  • Options
    Hi Monserrat:wave: ,

It sounds like what you are describing is called a "power plate" these are present in many gyms and are available to buy, but are very expensive!!

Before using this piece of equipment it is best to consult either a Gym instructor, G.P or other health professional before setting yourself a programme up !!

I have also added some information on Fitness for you too have a look through!!

Let us know how you get on!!

B:wave:
  • Options
    I know what you mean but don't know what they are called and can't find them online.
  • Options
    becky001 wrote: »
    Hi Monserrat:wave: ,

It sounds like what you are describing is called a "power plate" these are present in many gyms and are available to buy, but are very expensive!!

Before using this piece of equipment it is best to consult either a Gym instructor, G.P or other health professional before setting yourself a programme up !!

I have also added some information on Fitness for you too have a look through!!

Let us know how you get on!!

B:wave:

I think a 'power plate' is more sophisticated than what he's looking for. It is likely to be similar to this - a 'hip twister' :

HIP-TWISTER.jpg
  • Options
    Teagan - spot on. Thanks!!
  • Options
    What is it supposed to do?