Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Feeling dissociative

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys,

Just wanted some advice, it's not a major issue or anything but for the past week i've been feeling quite detached from the world, like there is a bubble around me - i am also feeling 'meh' and lonely and unfortunately have got back into the habit of self harm (the little voice is back) but not to the extend that i'm worried about it escalating.

I've tried all the stuff i could think of, i've done drawing, reading, walking/jogging, shopping (on a limited budget- not so much fun) having hot showers, eating food i like, going out with friends

but nothing seems to permeate the dissociative feeling :/

My nan's funeral is on the 16th, i was thinking maybe it's to do with this? but i don't feel really upset now, just a bit sad (in a good memories way) when i think of her.

Hmmmm.. i've ran out of self help techniques!

Advice, opinions, anything, is welcome :)

Comments

• Options
    skakitty wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    i've been feeling quite detached from the world, like there is a bubble around me - unfortunately have got back into the habit of self harm (the little voice is back) but not to the extend that i'm worried about it escalating.

My nan's funeral is on the 16th, i was thinking maybe it's to do with this?

darling, that is what dissociation can do. it makes you feel seperated from your surroundings and isolated.( I'm only writing from my own experience)
    It could be because of your nan's death but i don't know you so i couldn't say.

Are you with CMHT (Community Mental Health Team)?
    just wondering as you say you are hearing a voice again.

*hug*

a x
  • Options
    Oh it's ok, it's not external voices, just internal ones.

Nope, not with CMHT right now as i'm in New Zealand, so quite without help :(

It has actually got worse today, i went for a big long 4 hour half walk half jog thinking the execise will rid me of the excess adrenaline (i am feeling anxious as well... but it is a weird combo of anxiousness and derealization) but i feel exactly the same, but now slightly paranoid about my flatmates, i think they are making notes on my behaviour and they will report me to the police. They are acting like everything is fine, but my flatmate last night was talking about bedbugs, i think this is code for bugging, so they might be recording my actions. I'm scared i will be deported because of what they might report :(

I went to walk today, a special walk down Ngaio gorge, the park,no-one knows the river is special, there might be treasure? every time i think of things, my pulse rate goes up.
  • Options
    EDIT: NO ONE MENTION THIS POST TO MY FLATMATES OK? IT IS SECRET. I DONT WANT THEM KNOWING I KNOW. if they think im anxious, they might report me.
  • Options
    Oh honey I just want to give you a big cuddle :(.

I have nothing constructive to say except that I know just how you're feeling and if you need to talk to anyone, you can always message me on here or on Facebook.

Take care of yourself *hug* :heart: xx
  • Options
    Hi Ska,

It's clear you're in a lot of distress right now so it is important to try and get in touch with someone who can help you. I'm sure that local mental health services are there to help people going through a bad time.

Suffering a bereavement is a hard for all of us to cope with and the death of your Nan is bound to be having an effect on how you feel. Being far away from family and friends is going to make coping harder.

The Mental Health Commission in New Zealand has a section on their website explaining how services work over there - so that might be a good place to start to find out what you can access. Here's the link -
    http://www.mhc.govt.nz/Content/Mental-Health-Information/Information.htm

They also have a section outlining the contact numbers for the Crisis Assesment and Treatment Teams across New Zealand, as far as I can tell the NZ version of the CMHT. If you look at this page you should be able to find the number you'd be able to call for help, if you want to.
    http://www.mhc.govt.nz/Content/Overview/Urgent-Help.htm

New Zealand also has services that can help young people experiencing problems, including Youthline on 0800 376 633, the National Depression Helpline on 0800 111 757 or the Samaritans on 0800 726 666.

Any of those services would let you talk to someone, in confidence, about how you are feeling without having to worry about anything that might happen as a result.

You do seem to be really stressed and a bit unwell right now Ska and it'd be great if you could get in touch with someone to talk to about this. None of us know or are in touch with your flatmates or anyone you are living with right now - so don't worry about using TheSite for support.

But it is worth thinking about getting some support to cope with your bereavement. It does seem like it's getting a bit much and rather than being a place to be reported to, mental health services are there to help you.

I hope you're doing okay *hug*
  • Options
    Hi Guys, just wanted to update you on this situation,

My flatmates came home and discovered me ranting and raving bout the place being bugged, and other stuff i can't remember. They took me to A&E, who assessed me and put me in a respite home for the week (it was really nice, only 4 people at a time and it was like a home, free kitchen/food, meals cooked for you and really supportive staff)

They said i suffered a pseudo-psychotic episode- so basically really severe anxiety that made me lose touch with reality for awhile- but i am happy to report that i've come back down to earth and am getting on great with these new meds. All i've got to do now is convince my flatmates that i'm ok :/ They have told me that they are anxious around me and don't want to live with me at the moment, which is a bit of a blow :(
  • Options
    skakitty wrote: »
    Hi Guys, just wanted to update you on this situation,

My flatmates came home and discovered me ranting and raving bout the place being bugged, and other stuff i can't remember. They took me to A&E, who assessed me and put me in a respite home for the week (it was really nice, only 4 people at a time and it was like a home, free kitchen/food, meals cooked for you and really supportive staff)

They said i suffered a pseudo-psychotic episode- so basically really severe anxiety that made me lose touch with reality for awhile- but i am happy to report that i've come back down to earth and am getting on great with these new meds. All i've got to do now is convince my flatmates that i'm ok :/ They have told me that they are anxious around me and don't want to live with me at the moment, which is a bit of a blow :(

I'm glad you're a bit better but the flatmate situation sucks. I'll let you know if anyone is looking for a flatmate if it gets too bad x
  • Options
    It's really great to hear from you Ska, I'm so pleased your feeling better now :)