Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Persistent spot...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok so this may seem daft but I have this single spot (I do have others but they come and go as all spots should). I've had this mother for months. It's by the side of my mouth and when it 'heals' it is still evident by a small skin mound.

It gets irritated and I remember having it when I was like 15-16 and I can remember how it came to go but I had it for months and months then too. To me it is extremely evident. I'm posting a pic because I would like people to say whether it just looks like an angry spot or whether it's actually a skin condition or something - I don't think it's a cold sore or anything like. I suppose because it's next to my mouth it is near an area which I often touch. I would like advice because, I know it's daft to get hung up on one spot but it is so noticeable and it never seems to go away. Even covered with make up it's a protruding little bump next to my mouth.

DSC_0418.jpg
DSC_0417.jpg

Thanks folks :)

Comments

• Options
    Sure its not a cold sore?
  • Options
    Sure its not a cold sore?

My OH often gets them. He looked at your photos and reckons that's what you have. I would see the doc and explain the problem to him/her as you have to us. He might prescribe anti-viral treatment. Cold sores do reoccur, but if you learn to recognise the first signs (warm, itchy or tingling sensation), you can treat them yourself with Zovirax cream.
  • Options
    If it is a cold sore ( herpes simplex) and it's occuring a lot then you can get a drug called VALACICLOVIR on prescription. It can be used 2 ways. 1 a day to help keep the virus in check (this is the way i take it as it causes ulcers with me) or 4 a day for 5 days when you first get the symptoms of a cold sore to stop it forming.

You'll always have the virus i'm afraid but things you can do are

Balanced Diet
    Drink Plaenty, water not cider and black :)
    Try not to get too stressed.

Anything you can do to keep your immune system in tip top condition will greatly improve your chances of not getting a cold sore forming.

One more thing. If you ever pick, touch, put cream on a cold sore you MUST wash your hands afterwards. You can get a cold sore anywhere on your body. A friend's son has one in his eye and now needs a cornea transplant.
  • Options
    Is it something recurring in the same place, or is it literally the same spot that never heals 100%?

If it's literally the same spot, I don't think that sounds like a cold sore. I get them quite badly, and they do tend to pop up in the same places, but they always completely heal in between attacks.

I'd see your doctor. It might seem like nothing, but if it's not healing well, there may be an underlying reason. Even if it's just because it's getting a little infected from being touched often, they can do stuff like give you antibiotic cream to give it a little helping hand :)
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    If it's literally the same spot, I don't think that sounds like a cold sore.

The herpes virus lives in a nerve so to have them occur in the same spot is common
  • Options
    spot is an ambiguous term in this context.

Kaff was asking if it was something recurring in the same place, or was the same pimple that never quite healed
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    spot is an ambiguous term in this context.

Kaff was asking if it was something recurring in the same place, or was the same pimple that never quite healed

:yes:

I did re-word it once to make it more clear, but probably not enough! I did mean if it's the actual same blemish that isn't healing rather than new ones that keep popping up in the same place, then it's probably a good idea to get it checked :)