Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bloated whilst having a cold?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For the past few days ive been really bloated, started about the same time i contracted this horrendous cold. Could it be from not drinking enough? I read somewhere that bloating can be caused by the body retaining as much water as possible because im dehydrated and coupled with this cold i have i probably havent been drinking as much as i could be.

Any ideas? Anything else i can try? I havent changed my diet or anything although i suppose i may have over eaten a tiny bit over the weekend

Comments

• Options
    Was what you ate over weekend much different to usual? it could be due to you not drinking much though.
  • Options
    Not really, Indian on Saturday (I only had a Korma tho so nothing particularly spicy), Roast dinner yesterday and things like cereal for breakfast, some soup for lunch today....

Stomach cramps are so bad :(
  • Options
    Are you breathing a lot through your mouth if your nose is blocked? If you are that can cause you to get air in the stomach causing bloating :)
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »
    Are you breathing a lot through your mouth if your nose is blocked? If you are that can cause you to get air in the stomach causing bloating :)

Yea quite a bit especially at night cos my nose is all bunged up :( Thats probably it then. Anything i can do for it til i get over my cold, apart from drink more?
  • Options
    You need to get your fluids up if you're ill. You're immune system uses a lot of water when you're ill.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    You need to get your fluids up if you're ill. You're immune system uses a lot of water when you're ill.

Yep definatly drink lot's....peppermint tea helps with bloating/trapped wind as well as ginger :)
  • Options
    Ok thanks guys will definately drink lots tomoro and make sure I have some peppermint tea. Will only a couple of mugs do?
  • Options
    Yeah just drink a few cups through the day and it should help :)

it's quite nice cold too!