Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How to break up with someone who doesn't want to break up with you?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, there's this one guy I've dated far-distance for a while.

I was actually also planning to go to his place for a few weeks in the summer.

But now that I think about it, the guy has so far been one big mistake on two legs.

My sister hates him, my friends (all of which who know him) hate him, and if my parents knew him, they'd probably hate him, too.

I've heard he's harassed this one girl I know, who is now worried I'll bring him to mom and he'll embarrass us both.

And the worst part?

He loves me.

So, how the hell do I break up with someone who doesn't want to break up, or even see the reason why?

Comments

• Options
    Same way you would break up with someone who does want to break up with you, tell them.
  • Options
    Don't I at least need an excuse?

I've let a lot of things slide with him, not really thinking about it. Suddenly announcing they weren't ok, after all, would just seem unlogical.
  • Options
    Your "excuse" is that you don't like them, logic shouldn't really come into it. If you don't want to be with him, that's enough of a reason in itself.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    You don't need an excuse. It would be polite to tell the truth and admit you've lied in the past, but so long as you want to break up and he knows you do, you've broken up.
  • Options
    Your "excuse" is the truth. Be honest. You don't have to be harsh to be honest, but be honest, as much as you can.

Breaking up with someone is hard, it always is. Be strong and direct, because no matter how hard it is for you, it's worse for them. Give them some credit, some respect, and as i've said twice already, be honest.