Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

bulimia and self harm/ who should i tell

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i have bulimia and i self harm my older sister had bulimia and self harm when she told my mum. my mum went mad she watched her when she was eating and she cut her food for her and cut her food for her and locked the toilet door during breakfast and lunch and dinner and waited at least an hour before unlocking the toilet and she grounded her till she was eating properly and stopped self harming and my sister said to me if she finds out i have bulimia and self harnm she will tell my mum just to make me go through what she went through :crying:

Comments

• Options
    do u want t o help yourself? could you talk to someone else if you feel you can't trust ur family? friend, friends mum, aunt, teacher if ur at school?
  • Options
    definitely dont tell your mum or your sister then
  • Options
    do u want t o help yourself? could you talk to someone else if you feel you can't trust ur family? friend, friends mum, aunt, teacher if ur at school?

School may well tell the OP's mum if they feel they have to. (ie, the OP is at risk of injuring themself or another person)
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    School may well tell the OP's mum if they feel they have to. (ie, the OP is at risk of injuring themself or another person)

I told my school (well, actually they found out) that I was bulimic and self-harming at 16 and they didn't tell my mum.

However, I think you have more chance of it being kept confidential if you talk to your GP. You should definitely try to get a referral to a mental health professional if you can. I used to go to appointments straight from school and get the bus home so my mum didn't need to know exactly where I was ('with a friend' or 'orchestra' usually sufficed).

Good luck. I'm sorry you can't confide in your mum or sister. Well done for talking about it here.