Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Should i colour in my head?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

I have been disgnoised with alopeica, and i have a bald patch which i 3cm by 3cm on the crown of my head. I really hate it and am really paranoid about it, i can't wear my hair down anymore like i use to, i have to wear it pulled up in to a pony tail, before it appeared i NEVER wore my hair like this because i hated it and it makes me look awfull, so i feel like its stolen my identity as i don't feel myself anymore. I avoid going out and seeing friends becuase i hate not being able to wear my hair how i want, and it makes me feel ugly.
Anyway, my new idea is to colour the bald patch in with a permenant marker and maybe try wearing my hair down at night? do u think this will work? or will it damage my skin? Also, should i try some of the hair regroth shampoos i see in boots? so they work or are they aimed at conning middle aged men who have a reeceding hair line? i'm getting desperate now as this is really effecting my life :(

Comments

• Options
    Maybe instead of permanent marker, try something like an eyebrow pencil? They're designed for mimicking hair, so might look more realistic, plus you know that they're safe to wear on your skin.

I can't imagine that the hair growth shampoos do work, seem too good to be true, although they might make the remaining hair look a little thicker? You could give them a go if they are not very expensive, although I wouldn't pin much hope on it.

I hope you find something that helps, though :)
  • Options
    Heyy,

I don't know if this'll help you much, but it's a teenage girls story about living with alopecia... But I noticed that at the end of the story, on the second page, there are some links to support websites http://www.bbc.co.uk/switch/slink/sexlovelife/reallife/alopecia.shtml#1

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful! I don't know much about alopecia.
    Xx
  • Options
    support websites

^^ This. I think you need some outside support on this because it looks like it's really begining to affect your day to day life.

I feel, from your posts on this, that your feeling less attractive and putting your hair into a style you don't like is making this worse.

I really dont think using marker pen on your head is a good idea. Say you do this and go to a clyb. At some point you'll need to be somewhere where it's bright, like the loos, and people will notice. And some 'people' can be incredibly nasty.

I really don't know about hair as i started going bald when i was 18 so not much left :) But could you put extensions in to cover the patch ? As it's small is there some kind of decorative thing like a fancy comb or flower you could use ?
  • Options
  • Options
    As i understand it, from Lover's post, it's a bald patch rather than thining so i don't think those products would be any good.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    As i understand it, from Lover's post, it's a bald patch rather than thining so i don't think those products would be any good.

thanks for all the replys, i will check out the link. i think using eyebrow pencil is a good idea, but its like rubberskin said, if anybody notices then they will think i'm a freak colouring in my head. i just don't know what to do, it is really effecting me, im teriffied it will get worse and get my boyfriend to messure it with a ruler for me, he says its not getting bigger but i don't know if hes just saying that to make me feel better or not. me and him are going through a rough time at the moment and i think we would of split up if i wasn't for this bald patch, i don't want to let him go cus i think nobody will want me again if i'm bald.
    Its my birthday next week and having this is going to totaly ruin it for me, i'm meant to be going on holiday this summer but im seriously considering canceling it becuase i can't go and have to mess about with my hair every morning and i'll be constantly paranoid incare it shows. i hate the feeling of not being able to do anything about this and having no control in which direction my life goes
  • Options
    I've just been reading the news on text, and a woman is setting up a charity to supply small hair pieces to people suffering baldness from cancer (he daughter died of it) so i'll se if i can find some more info.
  • Options
    http://www.alopeciaonline.org.uk/groups A list of support groups and some useful links

http://www.headzup.org.uk Mainly aimed at teens and under, but there's a message board and some good info
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    I've just been reading the news on text, and a woman is setting up a charity to supply small hair pieces to people suffering baldness from cancer (he daughter died of it) so i'll se if i can find some more info.

this sounds really good, not too sure how it would work, maybe being stuck on or saomething? but if you could find me some more info id be really gratfull, thank you, :)
  • Options
    This is the article

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/shropshire/10221228.stm

But it seems to be more about children with cancer, sorry. But maybe they might be able to direct you somewhere ?