Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Counselling?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My teacher told me today that maybe the best thing for me would be counselling, I'm really against the idea as there is no way that would benifit me and also I don't need it!!
She's sort of set on that idea, I'm thinking it's so I don't have to rely on her and have these 'mentoring' chats..etc.

But just so I know, how does Counselling work? How would they help me,
(Sorry sort of hard question to answer if you don't know about the situation) but roughly how could they help?
Also, don't you have to pay?

I really don't want to do it, but I want an idea...

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    Your school/college may well be able to provide a counsellor for you on a no-fee basis, so you may not necessarily have to pay for the service. They may have counsellors that work with them already.

As for how counselling works there are several methods but the basic principle will be that they will encourage you to talk about your issues. You will do most of the talking, and they will direct you and challenge your thought processes. The idea is that you will ultimately find the answers from within, they won't give you answers. They will just help you find them, and help you to learn a better way of coping with problems.

That's about as specific as I can be without knowing your issues. But I wish you the very best, and I think you should at least try it. You get a lot more out of people if you follow their advice, even if you try and it doesn't work out. At least you can say you tried.
  • Options
    Hi Bleepy :wave: ,

Counselling works differently for each individual, it may be the right thing for you or it may not be for you. As Super 147 said there are several different methods, mainly encouraging you too talk about things and help you to recognise coping strategies to apply to situations you are struggling with.

I have added some information on Counselling for you too have a look at in your own time.

I hope this has helped. Keep posting and let us know how you are getting on.

Take Care
    B:)
  • Options
    Thank you becky001:)
    Will read that now, it'll end up not happening most probably, but just want to know information just in case - so thanks.

And thank you Super147
  • Options
    bleepy wrote: »
    My teacher told me today that maybe the best thing for me would be counselling, I'm really against the idea as there is no way that would benifit me and also I don't need it!!

Thank you.

Then you say
    But just so I know, how does Counselling work? How would they help me,

You shouldnt dismiss something that you know little about. Take in here for example, many users on thesite have had councilling, and on the whole it has helped them. Dont let any stigma about councilling get in the way, see if it works, if it doesnt then maybe its not for you, however its not usually worth knocking something till you have tried it :)
  • Options
    i find it helps some times but not others... perhaps give it a go and see how you feel. just try and be honest with him/her about how you feel in the sessions, this may benefit and enhance your counselling.
  • Options
    I'm just finding the whole idea scary and really nothing relevant to me, think she's suggesting it so I leave her alone!

But guess one reason why I'm finding it scary is because I don't want my parents to find out, would they?
  • Options
    I'm just finding the whole idea scary and really nothing relevant to me, think she's suggesting it so I leave her alone!

But guess one reason why I'm finding it scary is because I don't want my parents to find out, would they?

I'm not sure, I don't think they would. I think it depends on your age. If you're under 18 then possibly, but you should check with the teacher. I think he/she is just trying to help you by giving you the option.

I have a feeling that it is all confidential unless the counsellor thinks you are a danger to yourself or others.
  • Options
    Nutter wrote: »
    I think it depends on your age. If you're under 18 then possibly,

I'm 15... I don't think they would as it would be confidential,
    Ahh well - I'll try talk to my teacher monday

thanks for the replys :)
  • Options
    Hey bleepy,

I hope you've found the information and advice useful and it's a good idea to talk this through on Monday.
    think she's suggesting it so I leave her alone!

I think maybe it's not so much that she wants you to leave her alone but that she wants for you to get the best help and support. I don't know what your issues are but your teacher isn't trained to do the job of a counsellor so by referring you she's just giving you the best she can.

Let us know how you get on,

dp :heart:
  • Options
    Didn't get a chance to talk to her yesterday, was on a trip.
    Spoke to her today but not about the counselling, prob have to talk to her on friday when I have my next meeting with her.

Things have kinda changed now... alot, so counselling is looing more likely :no: But I'll talk about it first before i make any choices.

Thanks
  • Options
    I'll talk about it first before i make any choices.
    :yes:

Hi Bleepy, That's great that you will talk through your options before making a decision. You've said that things have changed quite a bit now, if you want to explore that more, then feel free to keep posting.

You may also want to look at this page, about other talking treatments.

Take care - :D
  • Options
    No-one probably cares about my updates but thought I might just give you one - as people's advice has been quiet nice :)

I think Counselling is going to happen, when I said things have changed - means my mum's found out, think i've jinxed things! But she's not pressuring me into talking to someone, just need to think about it.

Is there anything else I should know about Counselling? Have read thesites pages on it so probably not - but thank you everyone who has replied.
  • Options
    Councilling is not a bad thing, a lot of people have pre conceived ideas about it, when its not all that bad :)
  • Options
    What he said!
  • Options
    I only had a few sessions of counseling (and so didn't get very far with it) but the little bit I did have was helpful. So I think you should give it a go. You can always back out if it doesn't help :)
  • Options
    Suppose so,
    But do you have to go to the doctors so they recomend someone?
    My mum & teacher said for me to think about going to the doctors... ?:confused:
  • Options
    Heyy :)

I am in kind of the same situation as you... i recently spoke to my mentor at school about seeing a councellor because i wasnt feeling myslelf at all...
    basically my mentor (who is just like a normal teacher) did an assesment with me and filled out all of the forms and stuff... she sent the forms off and i got a letter back saying they would get in contact to arrange an appoitment time for consultation. i am currently waiting for that letter. there were two ways i was offered to do the process... i was given the choice of going to the doctors or doing it within the school.. either way the school and your doctors will both be informed about what is going on.
    you will have to go through a consultation before seeing a concellor and then all of the choices will be given to you.

hope this helped :)
  • Options
    Thank you :)
    That is helpful, getting an appointment made for the doctors, dreading it, but if it helps, it helps :)
    Thank you for everyone whos replied x
  • Options
    My advice would be that wen you go to the doctors make sure you tell the truth, cus if you dont they cant help! i know that from experience!
    but you will be fine, just tell the truth and let them help!
    hope you ar feeling better soon x
  • Options
    Lemon wrote: »
    My advice would be that wen you go to the doctors make sure you tell the truth, cus if you dont they cant help! i know that from experience!
    but you will be fine, just tell the truth and let them help!
    hope you ar feeling better soon x

:yes: really good advice there lemon. Good luck bleepy let us know how it goes, you can do it,

dp :heart:
  • Options
    going this afternoon, didn't think I would be but i'm really scared now :(
    Can't concentrate on my revision and just panicing now, arghh fustrating! :mad:
  • Options
    Not even gonna bother now, that was a complete and utter waste of time and so unhelpful.

But thanks for all the support.
  • Options
    Not even gonna bother now, that was a complete and utter waste of time and so unhelpful.

D: why, what happened? :no:

if you ever need someone to talk to about stuff, you can always PM me :)
  • Options
    he was just very un helpful :(
    seemed like he didn't have a clue about anything, and gave me the number of the counselling place i told him about (teacher told me about it) so that hardly helped.

& thanks for the offer :)
  • Options
    oh dear :no:
    sorry to hear about that, you should should still go for councelling though, don't let anything put you off... have you tryed ringing the place up? :)
  • Options
    not yet, prob ask my teacher to or try sort something else out..
    see what happens next week!
  • Options
    I hope everything goes well for you :)
  • Options
    :) thank you x