Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Occupational health

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Uggg just had a stressful conversation on the phone with an occupational health nurse.

Asking me basically everything about my mental health since 2008, what medication I've been on etc etc. Had no idea about timings or anything and erghhhh. He says he has to speak to his consultant who will get back to me on monday, and might want further information from me.

I feel like crying tbh.

Number one, there have been a few exams which I've probably failed. So I reckon just from that I have less than 10% chance of getting into uni.

Number two, he kept saying stuff like "how this affects your ability to practise" and stuff. Which sort of suggests I may not even be allowed on the course.

Fed up. Don't know how I'm meant to be optimistic about the future.

Comments

• Options
    What course are you applying for?
  • Options
    Medicine.

I shouldn't really be worrying, because the exams went so badly. But meh.
  • Options
    It's highly unlikely that you'd manage to flag enough occupational health limits to not be allowed onto the course. In this age of anti discrimination and mental health problems being classed as a disability its getting very difficult to stop someone training because to do that would be declaring that there is no suitable role within an entire profession.

As for the exams front, you never know how things will work out on that one. And if that hasn't quite gone to plan, there's always graduate medicine.
  • Options
    I've got a friend doing medicine who had bulemia at the time she got into university so just because you've got mental health problems doesn't mean they will automatically turn you down or anything. She just had to attend a couple of occupational health appointments in her first year.

I hope things work out okay for you. Your exams might have gone better than you thought.

One of my friends (in fact the boyfriend of the girl above) got a C in A-level chemistry but still got into med school, he just had to take a gap year first. Anything is possible :)
  • Options
    Thanks people.

I have to sign off my medical records so that the doctor can see them. :yuck:

I already had to declare everything on a form, get it signed by my GP (cost like £20) and send that off. Uggg. I hate people reading stuff about me.
  • Options
    Don't automatically assume the worst - they may well be going into so much detail to make sure you get the proper support. And try not to worry too much about your exams until you know for a fact how they went - I know that's easy to say, but you can't change the results now.

And breathe. You'll be ok, whatever happens :)
  • Options
    Apparently I need to have an appointment with one of their doctors.

Catch is, its over 300 miles away. On like the 10% chance (feels a lot less) that I'll get the grades to go.

Why do I even need an appointment? :banghead:
  • Options
    You need the appointment because you answered yes (or no) to one of their questions, and the only way to avoid appointments is to be able to give the default bland answer to every one of the question, or have it explained by something very straight forward that is now fully resolved. Eg have you ever had back pain. Answer they want, No. Answer you give 'Yes'. Phone conversation with them reveals you once fractured your coccyx which is now fully healed so basically you don't count as a back pain problem.

Fret not.

You never know how soon they'll give you an appointment, what with IB results being early it may not be until after you results anyway.
  • Options
    You need the appointment because you answered yes (or no) to one of their questions, and the only way to avoid appointments is to be able to give the default bland answer to every one of the question, or have it explained by something very straight forward that is now fully resolved. Eg have you ever had back pain. Answer they want, No. Answer you give 'Yes'. Phone conversation with them reveals you once fractured your coccyx which is now fully healed so basically you don't count as a back pain problem.

Fret not.

You never know how soon they'll give you an appointment, what with IB results being early it may not be until after you results anyway.

Thanks SM.

They had already booked me an appointment for this thursday, which I've said I can't do.

They're gonna try and arrange me a phone appointment or something.
  • Options
    See, they're friendly really.....
  • Options
    Haaa, well I had a telephone appointment today, but the doctor had laryngitis so the appointment was cancelled. SOOO glad I didn't agree to go there in person, would have been a waste of 2 days and £70.

Got another appointment in like 3 weeks, gotta rearrange.

Anyways, I was wondering... in people's experience, what is the best approach? Absolute truth... or the bare minimum [without lying]? Thanks :)