Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Experience of school work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know of people looking for job security in this recession and opt for a route into education. Teaching can be tough as well as developing children can be rewarding. Many jobs as school support staff too

I've been in a secondary school as a technician for 7 years. We have 25 teaching assistants and many are graduates the government has helped into employment. There are things like speech day when prizes are given to achieving students in a ceremony and the July sports day is fun!

Pay in schools isn't excellent but pensions are good. Most jobs in education are state funded and not the target of the new coalition government for cutbacks, hence I have a post in a stable career

Comments

• Options
    I'm thinking of going into education. I was thinking of teaching (I have a BSc) but now I'm thining of something less stressful, maybe a teaching assistant but not really sure tbh.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    I'm thinking of going into education. I was thinking of teaching (I have a BSc) but now I'm thining of something less stressful, maybe a teaching assistant but not really sure tbh.

Some personalities cope with managing a classroom of kids well- others feel the stress. Depends if you have the right people skills and becoming a TA is good way to test out the school environment
  • Options
    Getting a job as a support staff, like in a school office, is a good way to combine work with a home life with your own children- the holidays are great! :)
  • Options
    KiwiFruit wrote: »
    Some personalities cope with managing a classroom of kids well- others feel the stress. Depends if you have the right people skills and becoming a TA is good way to test out the school environment

I'm not really sure I mean the stress of naughty kids, I do voluntary work with teenagers and I'm okay with them, I mean I would struggle with the long hours and early mornings etc.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    I'm not really sure I mean the stress of naughty kids, I do voluntary work with teenagers and I'm okay with them, I mean I would struggle with the long hours and early mornings etc.

See what you mean- I talk to young teachers who say once they qualify in teaching they have to decline friend's invitation to go out. The evenings and weekends are filled with school work
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    KiwiFruit wrote: »
    See what you mean- I talk to young teachers who say once they qualify in teaching they have to decline friend's invitation to go out. The evenings and weekends are filled with school work

They don't have to be. It depends. And it isn't always the most stable career either. There are fewer and fewer permanent contracts being handed out at the moment.

I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is, tbh. I am a teacher, I work long hours, even though I am only part time now. It can be an extremely stressful environment and it certainly isn't for everyone. That said, it can be an extremely rewarding profession. The kids can be horrible, but that depends on the area that you teach in, too. I've had to deal with racial incidents, children throwing chairs at my TA and myself, and today I had to deal with 2 girls (aged about 8/9) locking themselves in the toilet together saying that they were lesbians and going to feel each other up!

But yes, can be extremely rewarding and fun, too.

Depends what the tories do to schools though. There was talk of about 14,000 jobs being cut according to my union :/
  • Options

Depends what the tories do to schools though. There was talk of about 14,000 jobs being cut according to my union :/
    From what I gather the coalition government is targetting hospitals for cutbacks more. The main saving in education budgets is from ceasing building works