Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

quick ebay help!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i listed something on ebay for £35 or best offer. someone offered me best offer of £30 which i decided to accept. i hadnt pressed accept on ebay yet, but id been talking to the guy who offered it me in messages and arranged a time he could come and pick it up (its pick up only) and he said he would give me cash on delivery.

iv been using the ebay mobile app on my ipod touch and it goes weird sometimes, i got a notification saying that somebody else had offered £30, next minute i went on and it'd accepted the offer! i swear i didnt press to accept it, i wouldnt have as i've already arranged with the other guy to come pick it up. question is what do i do now?! the second offer guy paid with paypal straight away before i had a chance to say im sorry but i didnt accept that. i know i should give it to the first person but if i explain the situation to the person whos offer SOMEHOW got accepted and refund them could they give me negative feedback? i wouldnt mind but its my sisters ebay im selling it on and she wont be happy if they do!

what should i do? argh im freaking out.x

Comments

• Options
    no idea, sorry. I hate ebay.
  • Options
  • Options
    can you ask your sister?
  • Options
    shes at work at a hospital on a night shift, i've texted her but she hasnt replied shes probably busy. i think i'm just going to have to email the second person and say im very sorry but i didnt accept your offer etc. and if they leave bad feedback i'll just have to deal with it :/
  • Options
    yeah, fuck it, do it. If they do leave you bad feedback, which is worst case scenario anyway, you can leave you little reply to it, explaining that it was a mistake...

I hate ebay though and haven't used it for years so I'm not the best person to give adive on the etiquette.
  • Options
    I think the best thing is to be honest and explain the situation. Ultimately no one is losing anything and you're not taking money that you shouldn't. If you explain it then I'm sure they'll understand. If they don't then you can at least be certain that you did the right thing.

If someone does leave negative feedback I think you have a chance to respond - just be measured and honest in that response and take it from there.

That's how I've always treated ebay anyway, be honest and open and people tend to react the same way.
  • Options
    The first person should get the item, but in terms of feedback, it might be better to fob off the first person. Contact the second buyer, explain the situation and offer to refund the money. They might be a dick, they might be nice, it's pot luck on ebay.
  • Options
    Sorry, missed the bit about you sister. I'm sure she'll understand and if not, well she can always have a go at you in the response to any negative feedback ;)
  • Options
    im so blonde :blush:

i emailed the guy whos offer got accepted by itself, and apologised a lot etc and said im sorry but i'll have to refund you. i also went on in the message saying I would have been happy to accept £30 but I'd already promised it to somebody else,

THEN i worked out what actually happened...the guy offered £30 best offer, then must have thought oh actually i really want the item, i'll just pay £35...and clicked on buy it now! so he made a best offer AND bought it for the full price within minutes of each other which is why i got so confused,

I checked my paypal and THEN realised he had paid the full price. whoops. so iv emailed the first person who I had arranged to come pick it up and apologised fully etc, I sort of feel like the second person should get it now as he bought it buy it now, fair and square etc. I've also sent him another message saying I'll give him a fiver back when he comes to pick it up :blush:

dya think thats okay? thanks for your help :D im never using ebay again.
  • Options
    Yeah, I think that's fine. If someone offers below the full price and it goes during that discussion then they've just been unlucky. They could have paid the extra fiver and got it. They lucked out by trying to grab the extra cash.

That's how I'd see it anyway, most importantly they can't leave any feedback either, so no chance of a problem for your sister there :)
  • Options
    yeah thats what i thought too :) thanks jim. i just wish id realised earlier that the guy had paid the full price, so that when he came to pick it up id get £35 instead of £30 :D but iv already gone on in the message now about how I'd accept £30! haha. oh well.