Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The Ivy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Anyone been for dinner before?

Taking my mum in a few weeks but just a bit worried, some people at work have said it can be right pretentious.

Anyone been?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Is this some sort of posh place?
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    Is this some sort of posh place?

Yes, if you have celery the waiters chew it up for you first.
  • Options
    It's not pretentious but it is a swanky place. Make sure you dress nicely (no jeans, trainers, t-shirts etc). It's also expensive.
  • Options
    I think I found their website, the place does look nice, and whilst expensive looking and giving me the impression that the mash tatoe would be served by (a small) scoop rather than a dollop, and the portions wouldnt satisfy someone who was actually hungry, I think I like the place.

Until I realised their website is making me suffer from motion sickness, try reading the menu text when some of the pictures change.

Though yes, it does look tres nice.
  • Options
    We went for Dad's birthday a few years back and I was surprised by how nice it was. There were people there dressed reasonably casually but I would err on the side of smart.
  • Options
    Used to be a great place for celeb spotting. Dress smart casual and act like they ought to know who you are.
  • Options
    Why not get a deal on top table and get into one of the French restaurants in Mayfair / Picadilly. There are some fantastic places and deals available, especially midweek lunches. I think the food would slash over the Ivy.
  • Options
    I doubt it. The Ivy has a reputation and deservedly so as the grub is top notch. I doubt anywhere that touts it wares on TopTable would "slash" all over the Ivy.

Still, if they do a better steak-frites than Le Garrick, I'd be impressed.
  • Options
    I doubt it. The Ivy has a reputation and deservedly so as the grub is top notch. I doubt anywhere that touts it wares on TopTable would "slash" all over the Ivy.

Still, if they do a better steak-frites than Le Garrick, I'd be impressed.

So you are not sure then? The Ivy is overrated, the French mayfair restaurants are terrific, but expensive.

http://www.toptable.com/en-gb/venue/?id=9116

for example.
  • Options
    I'm not about to get into a "what restaurant is the best" argument as we would be here for ever. However in my experience, the best restaurants in London are not on websites such as TT.

I'm sure there are lots of great places on there but don't take it as gospel.

Furthermore, it's also been my experience that as a place's proximity to Mayfair increases, its price goes up and its quality goes down. The Russian restaurants in Mayfair are a case in point.