Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I think I may have "acted" very childishly

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
...but I'm not so sure, I need an outside perspective.

There's this guy I met at uni years ago. We started to talk often and while I couldn't say it got to the point where we were friends, I did think he was good company.
A few months ago though, I noticed that he never called me any more. He never acted annoyed or dismissive or anything when I did or when we met though and I can't say that there seemed to be any difference to how he acted between then and before.

In the past I've been a victim of situations where people only hang out with me because (for more "innocent" or sinister reasons) they don't want to tell me they don't really want to, so I thought maybe this was the case here as well.

So I've not called him or sent him a message on MSN or anything since February and, sure enough, in all that time I never received anything either. But I'm now having second thoughts that maybe I misjudged the situation.

I did tell him once before that I noticed he stopped calling and he said "You're right, I should do it more often" but that was all.

What do you people think?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Are you more concerned about the fact that he hasn't contacted you, or the fact that you think people don't want to be around you?

It sounds to me like a perfectly normal chain of events; sometime people get to be good friends, other times they drift apart, and this usually has more to do with circumstance than anything else.

If you haven't contacted him, who's to say he's not out there thinking you don't want to be friends with him? Maybe he's really busy, or dealing with a tough period in his life, or just thinks you don't give a damn (sound familiar?)? It's great that you've raised this with him, but from the way you describe the conversation it sounds like a fleeting exchange from which he's unlikely to deduce that his lack of phone calls was a real issue for you. Unfortunately (especially with men) you often have to really spell things out for people to understand that you're not just making conversation. I know that can be embarrassing, but if it's going to be properly addressed you need to be very clear about how you feel.

I wouldn't get too 'deep' about this one; if you want to be friends with him, call him and ask him to go for a coffee or come with you and your friends to see a film or something. Offer him your friendship again and see how he reacts.

If it's not particularly him and his friendship that's the problem and you're more concerned about your ability to retain friends in general, that's a different matter and much more to do with your self-esteem.
  • Options
    I think he is just crap in keeping contact. I am very similar to this. I spend a lot of time at home, only calling the usual suspects among my friends, even tho my phone book is filled with mates, old colleagues etc. I do understand your point that this upsets you, however, because I would feel weird upkeeping a friendship on my own, it should be give and take.

You did not act childish, you were just not contacting him, the same thing he does with you. So you can either just start getting in touch with him and act if nothing happened - because nothing happened, or you leave it be, because it's too troublesome for you. This, however, you have to decide for yourself.
  • Options
    I would just drop him a quick email saying blimey how time flies i've jsut realised i've not seen you for ages I'm so crap at getting in touch - fancy catching up soon for a coffee (pint) (in greek of course)

Then see how keen he is to see you.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    I would just drop him a quick email saying blimey how time flies i've jsut realised i've not seen you for ages I'm so crap at getting in touch - fancy catching up soon for a coffee (pint) (in greek of course)

Then see how keen he is to see you.

yup, i would do this ^
  • Options
    ... There's this guy I met at uni years ago. We started to talk often and while I couldn't say it got to the point where we were friends, I did think he was good company.

I would regard someone I talk to often, and whose company I enjoyed, as a "friend". But equally I have friends who I only see once in a blue moon and rarely contact. The lack of contact doesn't mean that they don't want to see or hear from me, it usually just means they are busy getting on with their lives. Even the most casual of friendships can endure for years without contact, and it's always great to see old friends when you do eventually bump into them.

There is no reason to think that just because you have lost touch that this guy doesn't want to be friends.
  • Options
    Effectively all my friends do this but I've just got used to doing the keeping up as it were - ringing them / talking to them online every couple of weeks etc. If I didn't I wouldn't have any friends :P :P. They sometimes tell me they feel bad because its always me keeping in touch but thats just the status quo I think.

Also people are much worse for it when they're in relationships.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Reading some of the posts above, I realised how much of an idiot I was. If I'd bothered to think about it I'd have seen there were good "excuses" that he never called.
    So I called him earlier today, he seemed glad to hear me, felt bad for losing contact and wants to meet again soon as it's been so long.
    I didn't say any of it on the phone, but I do plan to apologise for not calling earlier. I guess I'm just a paranoid and/or insecure idiot, heh. :)

As for why I can't say we're friends, it's still mainly my fault, I think. I find it really hard to open up to people (afraid they might be the wrong people to open up to) but in truth this one knows more than anyone else.
  • Options
    I don't think you need to get too hung up on providing a reason for not being in touch, neither of you were. Just assume you've both been busy and spend more time with each other/in contact in the future.