Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Eczema Question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have eczema... I usually keep it under control with cortico steroid creams, but I've been using them for so long that slowly they're becoming less effective. At the moment, moisturizing and antihistamines aren't helping much. Does anyone know of alternative treatments that work?

Comments

• Options
    I have had some successes with homeopathy and acupuncture - both seemed to help but how much it was the natural cycle of the eczema I couldn't tell you.

The one biggest and best treatment was managing to get myself out of the scratch cycle, once I had managed it once, even if it came back I knew I could do it again - I know not all eczema is itchy but if yours is, getting your head round that will make all the difference!

I also found that long term corticosteroid use wasn't good as it really makes your system sluggish - wouldn't be a bad idea taking a break... I stopped using them about 8 years ago and have never gone back... all I use now is Aveeno Moisturising Cream which you can get on prescription in large bottles and it is the only moisturiser that has ever helped!

Good luck!
  • Options
    How exactly did you go about breaking the scratch cycle? I don't really know the cause of my eczema, though there does seem to be some correlation with dust and pollen. My skin always gets itchy when I'm stressed and when I sweat. I have exams, I'm really stressed out because of them so my eczema flares up and I scratch. I think that I irritate the skin through scratching it, but it flares up even when I prevent myself from scratching completely.

I shall check out this Aveeno stuff, it sound good :)
  • Options
    How exactly did you go about breaking the scratch cycle?

Rub lightyly, or just lightly run your finger tips over the area. Ice or a cold spoon rubbed over the area can help too. You can buy CETIRIZNE tablets quite cheaply, 1 a day and sainburys sell their own 14 for £1.
  • Options
    I have tried those things in the past and though they really help and I should be more consistent with them, scratching is often an anxiety/almost obsessive thing for me. I don't quite know how to get out of that cycle and I should probably talk to my doctor about it. For the moment, though, I need to find a way of lessening the symptoms. I took some cetrizine (well, zyrtec) today, and it really helped. Thanks, RubberSkin! Just need to make sure I don't build up a tolerance.