Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Dwindling Sex Life (but I'm in a relationship!)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, I've been dating my boyfriend for about a year and a half. I love him very much, we're extremely compatible, and we understand eachother in a way I've never had before. That being said, our sex life has taken a turn for the worse. In the beginning of our relationship we would have sex several times a day everyday. Now, I'm lucky if it's once a week (usually not!). We live together. There's nothing getting in the way of us except for maybe a squeaky bed frame. I've vocalized how I feel many, many times & still to no avail. I've not vocalized how I feel as well- to take pressure off but that doesn't work either. When we do have sex it lasts about 2 minutes (he used to last too!) and I feel like it's all about him and almost like he's just jacking off inside of me. Sorry if I'm being explicit, but this is a sex board! I don't know what to do anymore. He says he's attracted to me & he doesn't have any difficulty getting hard. Thinking about our sex life makes me resent him for ignoring my needs. That can't be healthy. It's to the point where I get upset that I have to say something about our lack of a sex life for him to try to have sex with me & then I don't want to have sex because I feel like I had to beg him. I don't want to cheat on him (I'm not the cheating type!) and I'd rather not break up with him (I thought I had found someone I could really be with). I'm just at a complete loss, it has been this way for at least 5 months & every time he says he knows and doesn't do well under pressure and to give him a chance to do stuff on his time. (When I don't say anything, it still doesn't happen.)ANYWAY, this longwinded rant is coming to a close and I just want to know how I can get him to be a better lover, more sensitive to my needs (as he was in the beginning- the sex was amazing)... or is this just a lost cause. : (

Comments

• Options
    Hi, and welcome to thesite :wave:
    You have to speak to him if you are unhappy, and tell him that it's unfair. I think 2/3 times a day is unrealistic, but maybe you could reach a compromise? Don't ask him to have sex more, tell him you are unhappy with the current state of your sex life and you need to improve it! You deserve to be happy just as much as he does.
    Xx
  • Options
    Take matters into you own hands.
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    Take matters into you own hands.

Which might make her feel better physically, but won't really help though.;)
  • Options
    No, but there's not much chance of the sex side improving - he can do better, but isn't and he objects to being told it's not working.

Personally, I'd say that you tell him you love him very much, but that the sex side isn't working for you - but that isn't in itself a problem, but you;re going to be having sex with other people as well as him.
  • Options
    It sounds like you are both feeling a bit tense at the moment, so probably this isn't helping much. When it comes to the inner workings of a man's psyche I haven't a clue but when it comes to men and dodgy dingles I think I can contribute. I have been in the same situation and have a lot of sympathy for you both

My advice would be to stop talking about it! Imagine if you are him - you know there are huge expectations, a lot of tension and a lot of stress surrounding sex at the moment.

Try try a change of pace- giving him a massage will get him nice and mellow (A masseuse/aromatherapist friend of mine recommended tangerine and sandlewood oil to me) - he may well just fall asleep and you will be horribly frustrated but if he does just let him. You are achieving and rebuilding a level of very intimate bonding. He is getting used to non-threataning touch again.

Build up to teasing him with kisses and suggestive touches will get him nice and horny and give you a bit of a bargaining chip to get what you want! You can make it into a bit of a game, so you are not just physically having the argument you have had so many times verbally. For a while I would recommend that sex or even orgasm for either of you should not be the goal, just take some time to make your bodies a safe place away from the stress of argument.

I know how frustrating it can be to rebuild your sex life from scratch, but it can be done! If you put the effort in he will recognise this and reciprocate. How is your relationship in other ways?
  • Options
    Thank you all for your advice thus far, I really appreciate it! Our relationship other than this is usually great. We have so much in common, and while we sometimes argue about other things-but this is what is causing the most tension. I feel like I've tried everything- for a while I even stopped bringing it up & would come on to him. I tried taking it slow but it seems unless I'm all over him doing most of the work or complaining it doesn't happen. Maybe I've also reached my limit, I'm sick of initiating everything. Evenstar - you're right, I need to stop focusing on the event itself. I've just been having a hard time as this has been going on for months... we talk he says it will change & then we sleep together once and then we don't for 2 weeks. I know 2-3 times a day is unrealistic. At this rate i'm just hoping for 2-3 times a week. I made it very clear when we met what my needs were & I feel like they just don't matter. (Something I've vocalized to him, he says this isn't the case - but to me his actions say otherwise.)
  • Options
    I know how hard it must be for you, I really do sympathise. I really recommend other physical activities like massage (feet are good too - up from the heel to the outer foot not the arched side, over round the big toe and back down) showering together, and cuddling - but be take your time to make it sexual. Do something like this every night while you watching telly or something.
    If you get on well in other aspects of your relationship and you don't think this is an indication of his feelings for you, you have a real chance of sorting this out. You will just have to take it frustratingly slowly.
    Also, if when you do have sex, have you tried the stop and go game? It helps with premature ejaculation and is absolutely hilarious. When you're having sex (assuming he's on top) and he's in the zone randomly shout 'stop' in a worried tone which he will, looking confused at you and ask whats wrong. His poor bemused little face is worth its weight in gold! Don't say go again till he's beside himself, maybe giving him a few downstairs squeezes. Repeat. It will really slow him down ejaculation wise, and will help with communication making sex a bit more fun.
  • Options
    any news wendy?