Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

cuts wont fade

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i self harmed quite badly over 2 months ago now and the cuts still havent faded. they are still red despite me using bio oil in them twice a day. the only improvement is that they've turned to a dark pink instead of bright red. i know they will scar but at least it's white rather than in your face. it's getting really hot now and i can only wear a bandage for so long telling people it was a burn before they suss. i guess this is my punishment for doing it in the first place? i feel better now and when i see it, it's just so ugly.

i dont know whether i could ask a dr or nurse if it will ever fade to white or will it take years? i dont even know if the bio oil is doing anything.

Comments

• Options
    The burn I have from probably about the same time is still red and nasty-looking, and has actually only in the last couple of weeks stopped being scabby. If it was deep it will take longer to go white. But it will, eventually.

Keep at the Bio Oil and iirc Cocoa Butter is good for it too?
  • Options
    depening on the nature of your scar, it probably will fade in time. I myself scar very badly and have had to pass two nasty cuts on my arms as either burns (hair straightners) or accidents. I would say to keep going with the bio oil just now. They are quite recent scars so they may fade quite a bit. hope you're doing ok.
  • Options
    thanks, im fine now just a horrible reminder still having them there. will keep at it with the bio oil.
  • Options
    I have a scar on my wrist that is only just fading to white on the edges and its from Feb '09 :(
  • Options
    keep at the bio oil because it might never fade.

I've still got a hole in my leg from 2001 where my dad stabbed me with his key. I never did anything about it.
  • Options
    boots do some special cover up make-up which i found really useful the summer i tried to slash my wrists. my friend used it on her wrist tattoo too and you couldnt tell she even had one. it's really good stuff.
  • Options
    Rach, I went into Lush the other day to ask about this (because I am sick of my stretchmarks already) and he recommended me something I already have woo!

The nasty grey-pink looking thing on the side of the bath? Works like a charm, apparently. Feel free to steal it at your leisure.
  • Options
    boots do some special cover up make-up which i found really useful the summer i tried to slash my wrists. my friend used it on her wrist tattoo too and you couldnt tell she even had one. it's really good stuff.

Whats that make-up boots do?
  • Options
    bleepy wrote: »
    Whats that make-up boots do?

ditto! sounds good :)
  • Options
    I had to wait more than 10 years for some scars on my face to fade away. You should not think about it and soon enough they will go away. :heart:
  • Options
    it's just hard because it's coming up to summer. dilemma too because i wear a bandage but i think i should let the air get to it. going to try and research into camoflage makeup.
  • Options
    You might try Hirudoid Cream. It works wonders on bruises, so I Googled it for you: http://www.docsimon.com/article/hirudoid-ointment-40g. This description seems to imply that it might help the healing process for other types of injury too. The packaging might be different in the UK, but it is definitely available over the counter at any decent chemist.
  • Options
    thankyou! yeah i see it mentions scars in the last bit. the only thing is that it does sound similar to what bio oil is meant to do but if i see it isnt crazily expensive i'll give it a go :) chemist ahoy after dreaded exams.

the pressure is on a bit because im spending summer in n ireland and going to be staying with my boyfriend's family who have kids. cant face any questions about the bandage and having to lie all the time.
  • Options
    the product i have is called keromask and it comes in tubes like foundation. it's water proof and smudgeproof when it dries.

. i had to go for an apt with their trained person at boots who tried different colours and mixes to see what best suited my skin tone and then showed me how to mix and apply it ( this was done in a consulting room and was private between me and the trained person - she said wrist scars were one of the most common things she saw, she really put me at ease). then i bought the two colours that she reccomended for me to blend together and she told me what ratio to blend them.

it is really good stuff and i would definately be using it again. my wrist scars are healed now and all faded but it was a lifesaver for a good few months and hid the scars really well. im getting some more in a few weeks to cover an oven burn scar for my friends wedding. My friend used it to cover a tattoo on her wrist (pure black ink on pale skin) and you couldnt see it at all.
  • Options
    ah thankyou!

i replied to your PM. will go in there this week to ask about it. you pretty much answered my PM question here :) is it expensive?
  • Options
    i had to have two colours to blend to match my skintone and i think they were a tenner each. BUT i used them once or twice a day a minimum of 5-6 days a week for 5 months and just checked the tube and have only used about a quarter of one and a fifth of the other.
  • Options
    Mine can still be seen too. bio oil which someone has recommended already. but I know what you mean, you feel like they are never going to go away....but I guess everything heals with time hun,

xx