Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I've been diagnoised with alopica and I'm scared

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

I don't know if any you remember my thread about my bald spot a few weeks ago? Basically i discovered a bald patch on the crown of my head and its been really upsetting for me, as a 23 year old female, my hair is everthing to me. I've had to wear my hair up for ages which i never did before and i just don't feel myself any more.

I went to the doctors and was disgnoised with alopica, they dont know how bad its going to get and can't tell me anything really. My friend has it too and all of his hair has fallen out including his eyebrows and eye lashes. I couln't cope if that happned to me and i'm so scared and don't know what to do... im constantly worring about it, i know that can't help but i've lost all my old confidence and im worried about the future. :confused:

Comments

• Options
    I have no personal experiance of this so im afraid i can't offer any practical advice, i can imagine how upsetting it is for you and i am sorry you are going through this.
    I think the best thing you could do right now is see if you can find any forums online where you can talk to people who are living with the condition.
    They will be able to offer genuine support and help form the heart.
    Don't feel alone though and keep posting, it may not be much but you will have the support of this community i'm sure :thumb:
    Good luck xx
  • Options
    Hi lover, :wave:

I am sorry to hear that you are feeling low at the moment, are there any local support groups for young people affected with Alopecia ? You could have a look at this website www.Alopecia.online.org.uk/groups and see if there are any listed.

Here is some information on Body Image and Self Esteem you may find useful.

I hope that you find this helpful!

Keep posting and let us know how you are getting on.

Take Care .

B:wave:
  • Options
    My friend had this for awhile, her condition was caused by stress, and when she was removed from the situation (bad relationship, damp living conditions) her hair grew back within a year.