Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Debt Recovery Company - Is This Legal?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I owed a little over £100 to a mobile phone contract because I stopped paying the monthly charge. After a while they obviously factored out the debt.

The DRC contacted me demanding money etc then after a while sent me a letter saying that they were willing to offer me a 25% discount and if I paid it they would consider the debt closed on their system.

So I decided just to pay the reduced amount and thought that would be the end of it but now they're asking for the remainder of the balance.

I assumed that after I paid, that was the end of it. If I call them do I have an argument?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Do you have proof?
  • Options
    Sounds like they gave you a blag to make you pay something because there is some rule whereby if you haven't paid anything for a certain amount of time they can't chase it, so they wanted to keep your case 'live' as it were.
  • Options
    Hey Big_Gay, yes I have proof
  • Options
    Then you politely tell them to fuck off - they made an offer to take a reduced sum, you accepted.

I'd suggest writting to them, enclosing a photocopy. It that doesn;t work, trading standards/CAB
  • Options
    Hey there,

Debts can be worrying for all of us, no matter what the amount. It can sometimes come as a relief for us when the lender agrees to take a reduced amount, as has happened in this matter.

As long as you have proof of this agreement from the lender, there shouldn't be a problem. Put your position in writing to the company enclosing the proof. Normally they will back off as they are probably hoping that you'll just give into them to get more money from you.

However, if you have further concerns about this or they become more persistent, you may like to contact the Citizens Advice Bureau - like Big_Gay suggested. They can give you free legal advice on a range of matters.

You can also visit this web page;
    http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/after_you_buy/money_and_credit/rightscreditagreement/.
    It has more information about your rights under a credit agreement and, if you need to, how to contact the Financial Ombudsman.

Hope this helps.
    :)