Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Pay in Lieu

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right so i got the boot today, and i'd worked there for about a month, my first 6 months were probationary apparently, but in my contract it says that i will be given 1 months notice or payment in lieu, but when she called today she she'd she'll pay me to the end of the week as a goodwill gesture. Should i chase this?

Comments

• Options
    sry to hear u got boot

i dunno if u can take it foward becuase you were on your probationary period but if they just gave you the boot like i think you can take it on because u did not get any warnings. having a look now see if i find anything
  • Options
    no expert but surely that means they should pay you a month's wages, so i'd chase! can't do any harm.

unless why you were dismissed affects this?
  • Options
  • Options
    Unless the offer letter or contract mentioned the probationary period, they can't just make it up.
  • Options
    Was dismissed apparently cause they had too many staff and weren't as busy as they thought they'd be
  • Options
    chase it up.
  • Options
    Tell them that you have reviewed your contract and that you are entitled to the money and that if they do not pay you fully then you will contact a lawyer and take them to an industrial tribunal.
  • Options
    Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    Wyetry wrote: »
    Tell them that you have reviewed your contract and that you are entitled to the money and that if they do not pay you fully then you will contact a lawyer and take them to an industrial tribunal.

Hi Wyetry,

Sorry to hear that you've been made redundant.

Legally, as long as you've worked there a month, they have to pay you at least a week's wage if they decide to make you redundant:
    http://www.thesite.org/workandstudy/working/workersrights/noticeperiod

As you've been there less than a year, you wouldn't be able to take your employer to an employment tribunal.

As you are leaving through no fault of your own, you need to make sure you are totally confident that your contract says that you will receive one month's pay if you are being made redundant even when you are still in a probationary period, as you need to decide whether antagonising an employer who might have to give you a reference, or may be able to help find you a new job, is worth that.

You might decide it would be more rewarding to ask them for a really positive reference, akin to "We were really sorry to let Wyetry go, as he was a very promising employee and showed real potential in the short time he worked for us." And don't feel bad about asking your employer if they know of other companies who are hiring, or if they can put the word out on your behalf.

Good luck with finding a new job..

Olly