Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How many times a week do you work out?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
And what exercises do you do?

I have joined the gym recently and aim to go around 4 times a week... Though a trainer there said that a lot of people go twice a day five days a week...

I thought 4 times would be enough, but apparently you can do as much cardio as you want so long as you don't make yourself sick. :confused:

Meh... Anyways... I was wondering how often you work out, what you do to work out and how you feel it has affected you. :)

Anybody shifted a lot of weight, or bulked up?

Comments

• Options
    I've lost 30-40 kilos in the last year, mostly through portion control, but I go to the gym Wednesday evenings, Saturdays and Sundays - unless I'm on call (1 week in 4) or I don't get around to it., and I tend to do an hour on the exercise bike and an hour walking on the treadmill - set at 60% of max HR, and at the weekends I throw 2000 meters on the rowing machine.

I also do a set of assisted dips and pull-ups before each CV.
  • Options
    ^ you are so much more committed to exercise than me.

I am a lazy fuck. I don't like the gym. I like team sports, just need to join one = too lazy. I did go to the gym for a while. About 3x a week ... for 2 weeks. Then 2x a week ... then once, then rarely. I just don't like it.

I do ceroc dancing, 2x a week for about 3hours.

I will start lunch time walks too ... eventually.
  • Options
    I'm not that commited either lol, i'll go the gym once or twice a week (depending on other stuff) when im at uni, i'll walk into town a couple of times a week.
  • Options
    exercise =fun!
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    I've lost 30-40 kilos in the last year, mostly through portion control, but I go to the gym Wednesday evenings, Saturdays and Sundays - unless I'm on call (1 week in 4) or I don't get around to it., and I tend to do an hour on the exercise bike and an hour walking on the treadmill - set at 60% of max HR, and at the weekends I throw 2000 meters on the rowing machine.

I also do a set of assisted dips and pull-ups before each CV.

Fuck... An hour on the exercise bike???

My cardio programme is 25 minutes on the Xtrainer (though I have to keep up to a certain speed), 20 on the treadmill (brisk pace) and eventually to aim for 2000m on a rower in 10 minutes, which I'm confident I can do eventually. Though this is a beginner so I'll have to put targets up.

I have a blister though, so steering clear of the rower until it's better.
  • Options
    Add in some weights, it will help you lose weight faster.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    exercise =fun!

:yes: except when it's a CV slog - unless you've got company, staying in the same spot gets a bit dull - walking or riding is much more interesting when the scenery changes, so I read a book.

2000 meters takes me between 9 and 10 minutes - and that pushes my lungs to their limit
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    :yes: except when it's a CV slog - unless you've got company, staying in the same spot gets a bit dull - walking or riding is much more interesting when the scenery changes, so I read a book.

2000 meters takes me between 9 and 10 minutes - and that pushes my lungs to their limit
    lol I hate the rowers... They're boring as hell.

I love Xtrainers, love running to the beat of music.
  • Options
    The cross trainers don't like me. as long as I give them my full concentration I can stay in control, but as soon as my mind wanders, the bloody things try to throw me across the gym.

but you can't read a book on the rower.
  • Options
    talking of the gym... I really should make a move.
  • Options
    Have you thought about some alternative classes as well, then you could do the gym once and an exercise class in the same day without it feeling too samey. I'm thinking, something like hoola hoop classes?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Have you thought about some alternative classes as well, then you could do the gym once and an exercise class in the same day without it feeling too samey. I'm thinking, something like hoola hoop classes?
    There's one where I am. It's a really intensive cycling type class to music... Apparently it's hardcore, people come out dripping in sweat, but I have been told to wait until I have been going a few weeks and feel fitter...

You should try Boxercise Katralla, it's fun. :thumb:
  • Options
    I have a 6 day weight schedule so it is either 3-4 days a week lifting. I like to say I'll do cardio once or twice a week but I hate it so it is rare. Unfortunatly most days I only get a chance at 9pm after school, which is right after work so no real good pre work out meals so I'm not working out nearly as hard as I could if I had a chance to eat. There is only so much food that can sit in a hot car without spoiling :p

Going twice a day 5 days a week seems excessive. They must have a lot of time on their hands! Plus it isn't always about working out longer, but smarter.
  • Options
    If you are just starting out at the gym its not advised that you do too much. Rest days are meant to be for when your muscles repair themselves. Intense exercise creates little tears in the muscles, which need time to repair (which also makes them stronger).

Once you get to a bit better level of fitness, and used to going to the gym, you can start going a lot more. I usually go 5 days a week, 4 times during the week, and once on a weekend, but my weekend phys is usually a walk/jog over undulating terrain with 30kgs in a rucksack.

Too much too early means you will just be tiring yourself down and not getting benefits all that quickly.

Usually I do the following, and try to do it in as quick a time as possible. Some days I just get through it and try my hardest at different aspects so get different times for different activities, and sometimes just an overall effort.

Row 2,000m
    LAT Pull-down 50kg x40
    Shoulder Press Olympic bar x40
    Squats 2xDumbbell 15kg x40
    Bike 2.5km @ Level 8
    Step Ups 100 (50 each leg)
    Press Ups 4x25
    Sit Ups 4x25
    Treadmill 2.4km (Incline 2.5)
    Lateral Raise 2x5kg x40
    Crunches x100 (Alt leg)
    X-Trainer 2km (Lvl 10 Random)
    Cross Thumbs Press Ups x50
    Bicep Curl 2x10kg x40
    Triceps Pushdowns 35kg x40
  • Options
    Argh, personal trainers keep telling me different ways to work out!
  • Options
    i go 3 or 4 times a week, for about 45 minutes a time. I do 10 minutes on the bike. 10-12 minutes running and walking on an incline. 10 minutes on either the rower or the cross trainer, then a few different resistance/weights machines, and 50 sit ups, then I go home :)
    It works for me. I dropped from a 14 to a 10 in a few months that way. Ive plateaued now, but im quite happy about that as long as I maintain. I could probably lose more if i dieted too.
  • Options
    Eeep! 50 situps? I cry at 40 crunches :blush:
  • Options
    I try to go to the gym three times a week but over the past few months i have really not bothered, i normally do about an hour on the treadmill and maybe 15 mins on the bike, i only go to control my weight but i worry that i might become muscley if i do to much. I like the idea of early morning jogs now the spring is here so i may take that up if i can get out of bed.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Argh, personal trainers keep telling me different ways to work out!

You can't do them all. Try one way at a time to find what suits you.
  • Options
    who the hell goes twice a day to a gym?

It really depends what and how hard you are working out, but I - at least try - to go twice a week and that's fine with me.
  • Options
    i don't go to the gym alot but when i do i mostly concentrate on weights as i play a metric shit tonne of hockey which includes loads of fitness training...i hate that bit but meh
  • Options
    zero.jpg.

I do cycle to work though.
  • Options
    4 day split: chest, bicep/triceps, back & shoulders, legs.

Chest: dumbbell press, incline dumbbell press, dumbbell flyes, cable crossovers

Arms: bicep curls, hammer curls, concentration curls, tricep pulldowns, narrow grip dips, skull crushers

Back and shoulders: seated rows, pulldown lat machine, deadlifts, lateral raises, seated lateral raises, military presses

Legs: seated leg curls, leg extensions, leg presses, squats

Cardio 3 x 30 minutes a week, keep it light.

Abs 3 times a week

Works for me :)