Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Using kids as placeholders

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hallo :)

Today I went to get on the train, and had reserved myself a seat. The train was rammed, because everyone was trying to avoid the strike (which in the end, didn't happen).

I get to my seat, and there's a child there (about 3-5 years old), just lying on the two seats with toys / colouring bits / associated children mess, her mums gone off somewhere. I look up and down the carriage and there's no other seats. I asked if she was sitting with anyone, she said yea her mum, and then gave up because really I can't ask a young kid without their parent to move to give me their seat can I?!

I was frustrated after, but managed to find myself another seat in the end so wasn't a huge deal. But really if they wanted two seats together do you not think they should have reserved rather than just plonking themselves down in empty ones that were reserved hoping the kid will put off whoever has reserved it. Because really am I going to kick a parent and child out of their seats? Of course not.

It's like those parents who use pushchairs as battering rams to get through crowds. One day someone will trip over and land on their kid and they'll only have themselves to blame! I mean of course I understand it's difficult and I help them up and down stairs with the pushchairs, and in the past have given up my seat so a guy with his young daughter could sit together but at the same time if other people have made specific arrangements like a seat booking is it really fair to just sit in their place anyway?

Wouldn't be an issue on an empty train for a short distance, but people were sitting in the aisle where you get off / on and it was a 2 hour train, it was only good luck I managed to find a seat next to someone else because someone had just got off the train - there were about 4 or 5 people following me who wanted the seat just as much though!.

Rant over. Your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    I'd of sat on the kid :lol:
    Naa, I'd of waited for the mum and told them to move! If I'd reserved it, and it wasn't a priority seat, I'd of politly told them to fuck off...
    Xx
  • Options
    You've paid for and reserved your seat - it's your seat and the kid is fair game! The parent shouldn't have left the child there on it's own anyway. I'd have stood there and waited for him/her to come back and then asked the parent to move the child onto his/her lap so that I could sit in my seat.

In theory. Depends how scary the parent is.

But yeah if the parent hasn't paid for the child to have a seat, then the child doesn't have a right to take up a seat, it should sit on the parent's lap.
  • Options
    I don't think you can reserve seats for under 5s.
  • Options
    Well I kinda panicked and so quickly walked off down the carriage to try and find another spot, just as I was walking up this emokid got up and I asked if he was getting off, he said yea, I pinched his seat and all the peeps following me despaired xD.

Also I don't know if the parent reserved a seat either I didn't really look into it that much. Was just annoyed. They had their stuff as I'm sure you can imagine all over, so I guess they had been there a little while anyway.
  • Options
    Hmmm I thought you could get fined for sitting in a reserved seat that wasn't yours.... Unless thats only with some train companies.
  • Options
    I wouldnt have thought the mum went off and left the kid there intentionally. I know it's offputting but there's no reason why you couldnt have had your seat and she'd have the other seat to herself, the kid or both?

What I hate on trains is when it's packed and it's clear that seats are going to be needed then you have some ignorent idiot sat in the aisle seat with their bag next to them in the window seat making it stupidly obvious to everyone on board that they cant deal with public transport and the horror of sitting next to a stranger.
  • Options
    What I hate on trains is when it's packed and it's clear that seats are going to be needed then you have some ignorent idiot sat in the aisle seat with their bag next to them in the window seat making it stupidly obvious to everyone on board that they cant deal with public transport and the horror of sitting next to a stranger.

YES. :yes:
  • Options
    and then you give them the evil stare and they cant even look you in the eyes. haha
  • Options
    I love it when someone has the determination and the balls (usually a woman 40+ in my experience) to scramble through all the people on the train, step over all the legs, and then ask the person to move their bag.
  • Options
    I wish my bloke's kid could be left somewhere for a minute without her crying hysterically and freaking out. :/
  • Options
    If I've reserved a seat, I'll sit in it. What annoys me is when you ask the person who is sitting in the seat you reserved to move and they huff and puff and sigh and give you filthy looks! There's just no need. Nothing stopped them from reserving a seat for themselves, and why would I choose to stand if I'd reserved a seat for the journey?
  • Options
    Other people's kids are why there are luggage shelves on trains...
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    Other people's kids are why there are luggage shelves on trains...

:lol:
  • Options
    My parents used to do that to us at christmas church. My dad would leave after us (and then we'd come home and santa would have visited!!) and my mom would tell us to spread out on the bench so the usher didn't tell us to make room for others.
  • Options
    Last time i went on a train, there were two trainfuls of people on it, becasuse the other one had broken down, and there was some old man sitting in my reserved seat. when i said it was my seat and made puppy eyes at him, all he said was the he clearly needed it more. so then some big irish guy persuaded him to move.

if he'd politely asked me if he could have my seat, id've said yes, because i'm young, and small, and much more able than him to spend a four hour journey standing, or sitting in the corridor. but just telling me that i couldn't sit there made me furious.
  • Options
    grace wrote: »
    Last time i went on a train, there were two trainfuls of people on it, becasuse the other one had broken down, and there was some old man sitting in my reserved seat. when i said it was my seat and made puppy eyes at him, all he said was the he clearly needed it more. so then some big irish guy persuaded him to move.

if he'd politely asked me if he could have my seat, id've said yes, because i'm young, and small, and much more able than him to spend a four hour journey standing, or sitting in the corridor. but just telling me that i couldn't sit there made me furious.
    To be honest, I think if I was in your position I wouldn't have even mentioned it. Seeing someone elderly in my seat who clearly needs it more? Nah, not worth my time.
  • Options
    in my defense, i was ill, had a ridiculous amount of stuff. but i do think it probably wasn't the right thing to looking back.

using kids as placeholders: it works well, being put on seats, at the front of things, and by things my mother wanted to buy while she went to get money, i have never once asked to move. when i see people doing it themselves though it just pisses me off.
  • Options
    in my defense, i was ill, had a ridiculous amount of stuff. but i do think it probably wasn't the right thing to looking back.

using kids as placeholders: it works well, being put on seats, at the front of things, and by things my mother wanted to buy while she went to get money, i have never once asked to move. when i see people doing it themselves though it just pisses me off.

Well thats the thing, socially you feel like you're doing the wrong thing dont you?

But if you book a seat, which anyone has the right to do - if you're organised why should you give up that seat?

I guess thats my complaint, its a bit like emotional blackmail... taking advantage of people's politeness and weaknesses for young children / old people in order to get a benefit they wouldn't have otherwise got.
  • Options
    Socially, yes, I did the wrong thing, and it is blackmail really, because if someone else hadn't asked him to move, I would just have left it, and stood outside. But if I'm just looking at this in black and white, yes, it was my seat and I paid for it. He didn't, therefore in a certain sense it is theft. At the time though, once I sat down I was so grateful for a comfortable seat I didn't really think about him.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    If they wont move when asked or seem to be disowned or you cant occupy your reserved seat I'd just report it straight to the guard or the train manager. For extra comedic effect sit in first class, that'll soon get you the seat back in standard.
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    If they wont move when asked or seem to be disowned or you cant occupy your reserved seat I'd just report it straight to the guard or the train manager. For extra comedic effect sit in first class, that'll soon get you the seat back in standard.

Thanks, I'll remember that for next time :razz:
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I will hasten to add it is worth contacting on board staff before sitting yourself in first! Or you might get charged extra and that wouldn't be fun.
  • Options
    I look far too cute and vulnerable for my own good; train staff have in the past been more concerned for my welfare than anything else :)
  • Options
    I look far too cute and vulnerable for my own good; train staff have in the past been more concerned for my welfare than anything else :)

Will still charge you
  • Options
    I wasn't actually planning to sit in First Class, I hate confrontation with people who are right when I am wrong.
  • Options
    If I'd reserved a seat, I'd see what the circumstances were. In the past my seats were taken, but pretty much everyones was because of how packed it was. I ended up standing for most of the journey in the door-way place between the two carriages. Quiet, not socially awkward and smooth ride on the Virgin trains.

But normal trains, I never bother confronting for a seat. It pisses me off when someone getting on the train has a child in the pram, doesn't take the kid out before they get on and hold them, and doesn't put the pram down when they can CLEARLY see it is packed to the doors. They could wait for the next one if they aren't that rushed. I can understand on most circumstances, but you can get those holsters that go around your chest, plan ahead if you know it's going to be rush hour!
  • Options
    i would have sat next to the kid.#
    A child of that age is supposed to be on its parents lap on a train.
  • Options
    What bugs me most about folk with kids in pushchairs is when they decide to cross the road not at a crossing, or when the green man isn't on. I'm driving along quite happily and suddenly there's a buggy in front of me. The parent is not putting their own life in danger, but they're endangering the life of their kid by pushing them out into the road first. It really gets on my nerves. If someone has a kid in a buggy then they should be crossing the road safely at a crossing, or waiting until there is no likelihood that someone will have to brake sharply to avoid them.
  • Options
    i would have sat next to the kid.#
    A child of that age is supposed to be on its parents lap on a train.

If that's the case really there should be family seats, you don't get an awful lot of space on a train :/
  • Options
    i know. Ive just come back from france on the eurostar IN the family area, 2 adults and two toddlers with two seats for the four of us. Cramped doesnt cover it. I think family area just means a folding table instead of a normal one so you get fractionally more leg room