Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

celiac Desease

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
my doc thinks i have celiac desease but what is it??

Comments

• Options
    This NHS Website should help
  • Options
    Gluten intolerance - basically anything containing wheat, rye, etc - per the NHS site. An American friend of mine has it and has to be constantly on the lookout for hidden ingredients. He even has to be careful about eating chips - in case the frying oil has also been used for breaded items. It's manageable, but a right pain in the bum!
  • Options
    Gluten intolerance - basically anything containing wheat, rye, etc - per the NHS site. An American friend of mine has it and has to be constantly on the lookout for hidden ingredients. He even has to be careful about eating chips - in case the frying oil has also been used for breaded items. It's manageable, but a right pain in the bum!

It's not gluten intolerance - coeliacs disease is where the gut lining gets attacked and is an auto-immune disease.

Food intolerance just gives people an upset stomach.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    It's not gluten intolerance - coeliacs disease is where the gut lining gets attacked and is an auto-immune disease.

Food intolerance just gives people an upset stomach.

Sorry. "Intolerance" is an overused word and, frankly, many food intolerances are highly dubious anyway. I didn't mean to trivialise Coeliac's Disease. My friend is desperately sensitive to even tiny quantities of gluten in his food - hence the comment about chip oil.
  • Options
    LilzoLilzo Posts: 38 Boards Initiate
    Melian is correct, in that Coeliac disease is an autoimmune disease where the body’s immune system attacks its own tissues. This immune reaction is in fact triggered by gluten (which is found in wheat, rye and barley). Some people may also be sensitive to oats.

It means that you will need to avoid certain foods that contain gluten to avoid getting symptoms, which include stomach pains and nausea amongst others. Coeliac UK website gives lots of advice about symptoms as well as foods you should avoid and foods you can eat which is really handy.

Coeliac disease is said to affect more than 1% of Western world so more and more supermarkets are catering for coeliacs and have whole aisles dedicated to gluten-free products. Although it may seem like a bit of an annoyance not being able to eat gluten you can still have a varied, tasty and healthy diet! :thumb: