Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

white filling - sensitivity afterwards?

i had a white filling about a month ago now.

before i had this filling, i had no trouble at all. infact, i was quite shocked i needed one as the tooth i had the filling on had never hurt previously!

however, now, the bloody thing is so so sensitive. is this normal?

it hurts to drink anything hot/cold, sugary and jeeze, even the wind hurts it! its really annoying.

i can't really afford to go back again yet :(
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i had a white filling about a month ago now.

before i had this filling, i had no trouble at all. infact, i was quite shocked i needed one as the tooth i had the filling on had never hurt previously!

however, now, the bloody thing is so so sensitive. is this normal?

it hurts to drink anything hot/cold, sugary and jeeze, even the wind hurts it! its really annoying.

i can't really afford to go back again yet :(

I though the NHS payment covered all work in a period?
  • Options
    it was about a month ago now that i had the filling.

they'll probably charge me again.
  • Options
    Perhaps you could phone the dental surgery where you had the filling and ask them if it's normal. If not and they have made a mistake then they should rectify it without a cost IMO.
  • Options
    hhmm been a while since I had a filling, but it did feel really weird to start with. It ended up spliting, and my tooth broke in half too so I had to get it pulled out.
    It's worth ringing up to check, like Fruit Loop said.
    And, how come dental care costs money for adults??
    Xx
  • Options
    I think it can be more sensitive the area where you've just had a filling, it shouldcalm down with time.
  • Options
    Any sensitivity from the filling should have gone away after the first week or two. Have you had that material before? Could be a sensitivity to that. It could be several other reasons though, most of which revolve around the tooth not being properly cleaned and fixed... like they didn't remove all of the decay or there is air in the filling.
  • Options
    It shouldn't still hurt, not a month later. Sensitivity to hot/cold is usually a sign of a problem so it could be that there's more filling needed around the one you've got, or its not quite sealed fully onto the tooth.

NHS charges are for a course of treatment, and I believe that a course of treatment is defined as not needing any further work within 3 months, so you should be able to go back now with a problem with a recent filling and it be covered under the charge you already paid (assuming it was NHS).
  • Options
    I'd think the filling isn't done properly, there must be a air-gap somewhere in the tooth.
  • Options
    mmmm, well i rang up my dentist yesterday. fillings are covered for a year so if they have done something wrong, they'll fix it for free.

i've got an appointment booked....28th april so i've gotta put up with the pain until then because thats the next available appointment :grump:
  • Options
    next available appointment? when you are in pain? that's a joke!!!!! nhs dentistry has a lot of problems I think, who do we vote for to get better dental care on nhs?