Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Very Painfull Tonsillitis

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just a rant about how much I hate tonsillitis!

Was diagnosed last week after experiencing pain when swallowing, leading to not being able to sleep or eat for 4 days. When to the NHS walk in clinic but was only told to take paracetamol, ibuprofen, a spray thing to help numb my throat and to get plenty of bedrest. Then if it didn't improve to come back a week later.

Well its a week later and still got tonsillitis. Still find it very painfull. And for some reason my ear hurts now too. So they put me on a course of anti-biotics and have left it at that. Come back in a week if your still alive, thankyou.

FFS. Still can't eat without terrible pain and now my ear hurts like a bitch too. I do not need this now! Already missed over a week of uni and have essay deadlines approaching, and I've had to have sick time off work too!

Not happy :crying:

Anyone else had tonsillitis, and how did you cope?

Comments

• Options
    Hello,

Tonsillitis can be extremely painful and debilitating. It's a shame that you weren't prescribed antibiotics sooner. Now that you have them it may take a day or two for them to bed in, but once they do, you should see a vast improvement as the infection fades.

Tips for coping: Eating ice lollies and allowing ice cubes to melt in your mouth - the cooling effect can be soothing. Strepsiles, or something similar will numb the area slightly. Inhaling vapour - Vicks or something similar can be soothing. Distract yourself with TV, book, puzzles etc. And sleep - sleep is when the body heals. The more sleep the better.

If you're ill, you're ill - don't feel guilty about work, that's what sick leave is for. Might you be able to explain to your tutors that you've been poorly, or get a sick note from GP? You may be able to get some deadlines extended?

Hope you feel better soon. Take care :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the messages guys, took some of your advice and I seem to be slowly on the mend, at least enough to be able to eat again and to get some work done on my essays so shouldn't miss the deadline.

Still on anti-biotics for another week but seems to be helping with symptoms quite well. First time I've ever had tonsilitus so doc thinks its not worth having them removed unless it gets worse.

Oh and if I have learned anything this week its that day time TV sucks!