Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Citalopram

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello,

My doctor has advised me that he is recommending I start taking Citalopram, and because I have a family history of depression, it seems likely that my seratonin levels aren't high enough. Citalopram is an SSRI drug that stops seratonin breaking down, so you stay happier, for longer.

I think on the one hand, if it makes me better that is great. If I had an infection and the doctor gave me antibiotics, I would have no hesitations. But I think more than that I will get better on my own with some time, some routine, and stuff like that. I have had some counselling which has helped in a way and they think already I'm much more alert and 'ready to go' than at first.

What concerns me is two things mainly; one is the unpleasant side effects. These don't seem listed on the main drugs info sites, but I've heard anecdotally that these kind of drugs kill your sex drive and can make you feel worse. The second is the long term implications - if I am feeling low now surely it is better to learn to cope and find other healthier ways of dealing with it (more sex! lol), than becoming dependent on a pill to keep me happy. Because I know I can be happy and have been happy in the past, really it was one circumstance that occurred that triggered some issues I have with some other stuff that isn't completely relevant - but it's a one off (I hope!).

I've got to decide by Monday. My close friend / girlfriend has said she doesn't think I should because I'm not insanely depressed / suicidal (though I've had suicidal fantasies, my counsellor says these are normal and not necessarily completely unhealthy as they allow me to escape from stress, the concern is when these turn into plans and actions). Another good friend said 'you don't seem that depressed' and so obviously how I appear to my friends etc. doesn't cause them a massive cause for concern.

But looking at myself, there have definitely been tangible, real effects that I guess most people don't notice because they're not me, but starting to tally it up it's all had a significant impact on pretty much every aspect of my life.

These pills wont fix my life obviously, they're only supposed to top up my mood to try to stop the lowest of the lows, so I am more able to build myself up into a good routine where I don't need them. The doctor thinks they would be good for me. But, again, my girlfriend said doctors do like to treat /everything/ with a pill.

If anyone can offer any advice, maybe because you've taken them or whatever or just know in general about the kind of drugs, what would you say?

Comments

• Options
    I'm on citalopram at the moment and so far it's been going quite well and is much better than the previous AD I was on. Hope it goes well for you. :)
  • Options
    I'm on Sertraline, which has worked better for me BY FAR than fluoxetine which was far too strong.
    I guess it depends on whether you feel you need them, I mean, you might start to feel better with counselling or herbal remedies... if not, maybe give them a go? Just keep in close contact with your doctor so if things do happen to get worse then he/she can decide to either take you off them completely or try something else. :)
  • Options
    Hi ShyBoy :wave:

It's good to see you're really thinking this through. Like others have said this treatment is working for them but nobody knows you better than yourself!

There are no shortcuts along the way and if you feel you'd like to try some alternate routes maybe you could set yourself a target, this could be weeks or a couple of months and see how you feel having implemented some routine or lifestyle changes?? Whichever route you choose you have to commit to it to get the results.

As for the side effects these vary person to person, it's really just trial and error with medication.

I wish you the best of luck, please let us know what you decide :thumb:
  • Options
    Went for a run yesterday and I feel it's something I could keep up, so that's positive. The only times I think I need help are when my feelings take a turn for the worse inexplicably, for example on wednesday I went to leeds with my ladyfriend, had a lovely day, on the way back on the train I started feeling down and stressed. No reason at all, my mood just plummeted like a stone!
  • Options
    i found the side effects of citalopram intolerable.
    I think if you feel that you can help your depression in other ways then its definitely worth trying those first.
    It might also be worth trying something like 5htp which you can get from holland and barrett and i find is brilliant for depression and anxiety, yet wiuth none of the side effects of ssris
  • Options
    It's good you went for a run, and that it helped you :) I don't really believe in the whole medicane thing, I know it helps people... but personally I wouldn't take anything long term given the choice.
    So, the more things you find that help the better.
    Xx
  • Options
    I was on citalopram for quite a while and just been switched to a combo of sertraline and clonazepam which is doing me a lot of good. :)
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Went for a run yesterday and I feel it's something I could keep up, so that's positive. The only times I think I need help are when my feelings take a turn for the worse inexplicably, for example on wednesday I went to leeds with my ladyfriend, had a lovely day, on the way back on the train I started feeling down and stressed. No reason at all, my mood just plummeted like a stone!

Good to hear you're trying to implement some of those positive changes :thumb:

I know it's boring and a real cliche but diet/excercise really do make such a difference .... you get out what you put in!

Keep it up.

dp
  • Options
    Went for a run today as well, still feeling positive :).