Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Brown blood.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was fourteen/fifteen when I first started my periods and my period blood was red but over the past year, it's brown. When I'm at the heaviest point of my period, it goes reddish but most of the time, it's brown. Is this normal?

Comments

• Options
    Was the brown text on purpose? :)

Brown blood is just blood that has been in the uterus for a while. It becomes deoxygenated and turns brown. It's fairly natural and there is no need to worry.
  • Options
    No lol, it actually wasn't.
    Anyone else wanna help haha?
  • Options
    But why has my blood been in the uterus for a while?
  • Options
    Menstruation changes with age, hormone levels, activities, any number of things. If you see any other changes or symptoms that give you concern, get in touch with your doctor.
  • Options
    But how long does blood stay in the uterus for, before it comes out as a period?
  • Options
    The length of one menstrual cycle. After you finish your period the lining of your uterus begins to thicken in order to receive a fertilised egg. If your egg isn't fertilised the lining will begin to break down and ta-daaa you have another period

As a side note (and it wasn't anything in this thread, im just taking the opportunity since im replying to this and this is not bullying or me being mean before anyone bitches at me) but if you are going to use all the colours of the rainbow please steer clear of particularily light colours. :heart:
  • Options
    Brown-looking blood is perfectly normal during your period. The blood that is shed during your period is the lining of the womb (uterus) that builds up during the part of the month when you are fertile. When you are no longer fertile, this womb lining is discarded and you "bleed". As the blood has been stored for a couple of weeks, it can look brown and congealed while, when your flow is at its heaviest, it can look much redder in colour and more fluid. However, it will never be the same colour or consistency as the blood that circulates in your veins (dark, unoxygenated) or arteries (bright red and full of oxygen).

Hope this puts your mind at rest.
  • Options
    *is slightly worried that Teagan knows more about periods than I do*
    Xx
  • Options
    Thanks overthehill :)
    Now I know.
  • Options
    Does brown blood happen to everyone because my periods arnt regular I coud and do go a few months without one(no im not pregnant) and mine dosn't come out brown
  • Options
    Periods can be irregular when they first start, but I would have thought most young women should be regular by their late teens/early twenties. They can be affected by medical conditions though (such as eating disorders) as well as pregnancy, so, if you go months at a time without one, I would be inclined to have a check-up with your doctor.

Not everyone's blood will necessarily be brown. I would say mine was more burgandy-coloured most of the time. But, whatever colour it is, it should look significantly different in consistency than the blood that you might see if you were injured.
  • Options
    Yeah, I understand what you mean.
  • Options
    Yeah It does worry me slighty but a friend of mine is 25 and hers arnt regular either. Hmm might go to my doc during the week if i can get a appoinment
  • Options
    Mine have become more regular than they used to be.