Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I've said this before but....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
...I feel utterly crap. I am the lowest I have ever been. I don't care anymore although I wish I did. It seems most of my day is spent feeling like I am about to cry. But I can't. I broke down to one of my housemates the other night, and I have started self harming frequently (but not badly) again. I feel numb, lonely and lost, like I am just wandering this world aimlessly by myself. I also may have had a couple of panic attacks (not sure though) which has never happened before.
I got uni results back, and didn't do as well as I hoped so I have to graduate this year and find a job. I have no idea what I want to do. At all. I just know I don't want an office job, and I want to move out of my parents house as soon as possible after I have graduated.

I just want someone to care about me.

And the main purpose of this post was I am so close to going to see a doctor about this all (it's affecting my uni work) but I hate doctors. I go all red and shakey and scared. ugh. In principle going to the doctors is probably the way forward. In practice I'm not so sure, it'll take a lot of effort. Thoughts please?

Comments

• Options
    ... apart from now. I am now in tears and I don't know what set it off. :crying:
  • Options
    In the end, the only thing that really drives a person forward is themselves, if yu feel deep down that going to the doctor is a good idea, then I suggest that you may want to try it...it's sorta helped me and I bloody hate them...Everyones feeling a bit crap too at the moment, so, you aren't alone in feeling low. Have you tried just going out with a friend that you feel really close too for the day? Usually someone of the opposite sex...or of the sexual preferance because I've noticed I can relax a bit more...*shrug* might work for you? :)
  • Options
    bio haz wrote: »
    In the end, the only thing that really drives a person forward is themselves, if yu feel deep down that going to the doctor is a good idea, then I suggest that you may want to try it...it's sorta helped me and I bloody hate them...Everyones feeling a bit crap too at the moment, so, you aren't alone in feeling low. Have you tried just going out with a friend that you feel really close too for the day? Usually someone of the opposite sex...or of the sexual preferance because I've noticed I can relax a bit more...*shrug* might work for you? :)

no. no one here cares. I live with three guys, as the rest of our friends gradually drifted away. The guy I broke down to has gone home for the weekend, another is working, and the other is watching tv and is in a funny mood. I have tried just now to go talk but yeah. funny mood. I can;t afford a day of nothing either. I have a deadline monday and friday of which i'm screwed for.
    So the doc worked for you?
  • Options
    It took some time...it didn't work straight off because I feel so bad towards them for the way I've been treated before, and I think the only reason that it worked was because The nurse I see is a woman, and I broke down pretty badly infront of her a few times. It wasn't the best of things to have happen, but...it's sorta made me feel a little bit better inside, because the burden was lifted off of myself for a bit, if not for long, long enough to feel a bit more freedom than I usually have :/
  • Options
    Sorry for the delay. maybe people do notice, maybe they even care. I have just had a talking too which drove some points home, my housemate realises I am unhappy and basically said I have to go talk to someone. So I am pretty much being forced (but in a good way) to go talk to someone about this- my tutor or doctor. I really don't want to but I guess it is for the best. I told them to keep telling me to go see someone, or else I know I won't go.

Hmm... but I hate talking to people face to face esp about stuff like this. Did your doc not mind you breaking down in front of her?
  • Options
    re

Hey Purpledhaze,

Sounds like your going through a tough time but also have some people around you who care. It can be a bit nerve wracking to talk to someone professionally about your feelings but it can also give a great sense of release and empowerment. Have you considered counselling before?Counsellors are specifically trained to listen and support, its also confidential. and you can be referred by your GP.

have a look at the link and keep posting:wave:
  • Options
    Sorry for the delay. maybe people do notice, maybe they even care. I have just had a talking too which drove some points home, my housemate realises I am unhappy and basically said I have to go talk to someone. So I am pretty much being forced (but in a good way) to go talk to someone about this- my tutor or doctor. I really don't want to but I guess it is for the best. I told them to keep telling me to go see someone, or else I know I won't go.

Hmm... but I hate talking to people face to face esp about stuff like this. Did your doc not mind you breaking down in front of her?

Hi Purpledhaze,

People do care about you, your housemate realised how unhappy you are and said to go and talk to someone about how you are feeling.
    Do you think you could have someone to go with you, to the doctors or your tutor? Maybe that would help.

Hugs
  • Options
    Yeah I have thought about counselling before but I'm not sure if I like the idea... I hate talking to people about this face-to-face.

Have just emailed someone in my department about my work due in soon which I am behind on... hopefully this will help a bit. I just don't like people knowing I am struggling!

I think I have to go speak to my tutor too though or a doctor as I can't go on like this really. It's horrid. I may be able to find someone to come with me. That way they can make sure I actually go. That's a really good idea, thanks Leanne.
  • Options
    Nah, she didn't mind it...well, if she did, she didn't let on that she did. She sorta helped me figure out what was getting to me the most by trying to keep me calm, and tell her how I felt at that point in time.
  • Options
    Counselling could help and counsellors know it's difficult to open up and talk about certain issues face to face, but they give you the time to do that, and won't rush you in to saying anything you aren't comfortable with.

Yeah, taking someone with you could help. Not just for making sure you actually go, but also to maybe take your mind off feeling scared and shakey a little bit. :)
  • Options
    ok, well i'll let you know what happens. going to go speak to the person i emailed on monday, see what he says although he is only a staff member.
  • Options
    Just wanted to say good luck today, you're making a really brave step in the right direction. Let us know how you get on :)
  • Options
    Hmmm this is how I got on:
    I don't know who to talk to. The person I emailed hasn't replied, and as he is the head of department I think you have to book an appointment as he is always busy, maybe I should email him again?Or... I could go see my tutor but I think he is still in the Middle East or somewhere that way on a trip... Or... I could go see a doctor but I there are no appointments until Friday... and I am meant to be doing stuff on Friday anyways. I so should have booked an appointment earlier! So... yeah :banghead:
  • Options
    Can you not make an appointment for after friday? Sometime next week?
    You could try ringing the head of department again.
  • Options
    Try not to be disheartened, annoyingly tutors aren't always the easiest people to get hold of. Perhaps you could try both? You could email your head of department again and say you'd like an appointment asap or just pop along and see if you can catch him in person. He might be busy but if he can't see you there and then you might be able to arrange something sooner than you think. It's likely your tutor could suggest a trip to the docs too so why not see if you can book an appointment with your GP for friday and ask them to call if they have any cancellations in the mean time?

If you know you don't feel that comfortable about talking face to face, maybe think more about getting someone to go along with you for moral support? You could also write a few things down that you want to say so if you get shakey or scared you have that to help prompt you or to show them. All the best :)
  • Options
    Right, will go and see one of them (my tutor or the head of department) tomorrow. I think my tutor said something about being away until Monday (ie today) so maybe he'll be there tomorrow.
    The doctors is silly, the online appointment booking thing says first avaliable appointment is next Monday, although the only two times clash with my only lecture, and on Tuesday it is with a male doctor, not sure how I feel about that. I guess I could book and cancel. What happens if I bottle out of going/ don't feel the need to go next week? I really do hate doctors appointments! I get all nervous and red and my heart does somersaults!
    That's why I hate booking them in advance, as it gives me more time to worry! Wish I could just turn up and be seen to lol!
    Argh!

ok: i just booked an appointment 3pm next Tuesday :S
  • Options
    Hey, im really glad you have booked an appointment.
    You said before that your house mate was pretty much making you go and talk to someone. Could you tell your housemate you have an appointment and ask if they would try and make you stick to your appointment?
    Oh, and see if you can get someone to go with you?
    :heart:
  • Options
    Quick update: Been to see a student support person, he's going to tell the department I'm behind with lectures etc so hopefully something can be done about that, and to ask them to email me back (I emailed them last week about go to talk to them; but it didn't get replied to!). I guess they are busy though.
    Am going to try and make all my lectures this week too! So yeah, I feel a little more positive now :)
  • Options
    Ahh I have the doctors tomorrow, am dreading it already! I went to talk to my department today, so now they know I'm finding it tough, I almost ended up crying even though the questions were not probing, I just got asked stuff like what do you want to do next year after graduation. All I could do was shrug my shoulders because I could feel tears coming! And it got suggested maybe I am suffering from depression. I almost wanted to shout, "you think??I've known that for agessss but no one else has :)" but I just said I guess it was a possibility.So now I have gone from no one knowing to like three people knowing a bit. I'm not sure if I like that tbh!

Will let you know how I get on tomorrow.
  • Options
    Well the doctors would have been good had he not made it clear from the start he was behind and needed it to be a quick apointment (30mins behind when I saw him) and had he listened to me, and had he bothered to not assume stuff. FFS.
    I feel even worse now. Honestly he really fucked things up. Maybe no one does care. Argh. :crying:
  • Options
    Hi Purplehazed,

So sorry to hear that your Doctors appointment made you feel worse. People do care, there is a lot of good advice and support out there, including Thesite and the community here, so please feel free to post as much as you want and explore what's going on for you.

It's very disheartening when Doctors do not listen. The late appointment is forgiveable, but to make you feel that way from the beginning is not fair. You have the right to see another Doctor. Perhaps even change your Doctor? See this page. Might it also help to speak to someone at NHS Direct (0845 46 47) or to someone on a helpline?

You've mentioned that 3 people know about what's going on for you at the moment. Can you talk to any of them about the frustration you are feeling?

Take care :)
  • Options
    Well I have to go back to the doctors in two weeks for a review with another doctor so maybe that'll be better. He said I should try counselling, and at the moment I'm that desperate I'm willing to give anything a try!

As for talking to someone, they are trying to help within their capacity, I have to go talk to my course department tomorrow about how the doctors went and another staff member wants me to email them at the end of the week about this week. So people are trying, I guess that's helpful, but I just feel completely stuck! I guess it's early days.
  • Options
    The fact that your course department and also another staff member want to know what's happening, shows that they are interested and care.

Hopefully when you go back for your review with the Doctor you will get a better service than you got today. Perhaps you could reflect on your negative experience today with the Doctor at the end of your next session - just so that they are aware of how today made you feel?

Counselling is definitely worth a try, such is life - it works for some and not for others. Why not check out some of the information on this page about treatments, particularly the counselling page - it may help to explore other options out there.

:)
  • Options
    Thanks Harry, that's helpful :)
  • Options
    I like how no one else is posting and this is just a mega post by me! But never mind!
    Argh, I did something last night which is so unlike me. I think it's cos I feel messed up at the moment, I think that's partly to blame but also I dunno... meh.
    But I have an appointment with a counsellor now, which I guess could be helpful but it's not for a while.

That's all. Just needed to write this down, not that it makes any sense at all/ requires an answer!
  • Options
    Hey Purple, thought I'd reply :)

Great to see you've got the appointment with a counsellor, hopefully you'll be able to discuss what you did with them if it's still bothering you. Or you can always feel free to discuss it here, if you're comfortable posting in more detail.
  • Options
    Hey, it's great you have got an appointment with a counsellor, even though it's not for a while.
    I hope your next doctors appointment goes better for you.
    Keep posting :)