Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Living with smokers

:wave: Hi all,

I’m Louise, the editorial assistant at TheSite.org and hoping to become known as a mod around these parts!

We’re working on loads of new content about smoking to go on TheSite, and I want to find out about what it’s like when you’re a non-smoker who lives with smokers. You could be someone who’s given up smoking but you still live with people who smoke.

How you deal with it – do you mind them smoking, do you make them smoke outside and do you want them to quit? It could be your parents, housemates, brother or sister or even boyfriend or girlfriend. Does them smoking effect your relationship with them? I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    my partner smokes and I dont.
    It doesnt bother me as long as he doesnt smoke in front of the children, so smokes outside or out of a window usually. I dont really care if he smokes or not. Im used to it, although sometimes i notice the smell more than others
  • Options
    A girl I lived with last year smoked and it wasn't a problem because she'd go outside (which they have to anyway because we're not allowed to smoke inside flats). Another girl I live with this year smokes, which isn't a problem until she brings her friends over who also smoke and they get drunk, leave the door open while they smoke outside or leave it on the catch so the smell gets into the kitchen and goes down the corridoor and into our rooms. The catch has also been left on all night meaning anyone can just walk into our flat. Which has caused friction and arguments, though it doesn't seem to be as bad now...the entrance hall and corridoor still tend to reek of fags while they're here which is never nice.
  • Options
    living with smokers

Hi Lousie,:wave:
    I grew up in a family that smokes, both my stepmum and dad and then eventually my brother, i am a non-smoker. I didn't bother me so much when i lived at home but after i moved out and i go home to visit i realise how smelly it is and it catches the back of my throat. my ex boyfriend smoked and my current housemate smokes although neither of these bothered me too much as its tabbacco. This seems to be a completely different smell to normal cigerettes. When i visit my mum as well, both her and her partner smoke again normal cigerttes and i notice it catching my throat and my chest at times.
  • Options
    i also think that the smell of normal cigarettes is far worse than the smell of tobacco. I cant stand the smell of normal cigarettes
  • Options
    I live in halls with a smoker. When he first moved in, he would smoke in his room - he is entitled to do this. However, the girl in the room opposite him could smell it in her room. She said it smelt as though she was the one smoking.

My dad used to smoke. He was made to smoke outside. I remember one time him standing over me after he'd smoked and he smelt vile.:yuck: He has thankfully given up now.
  • Options
    LouLou86LouLou86 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Helping someone else quit smoking

Hi again!

Thanks for all your replies, they're super helpful.

We're also writing another article on how to help someone else give up smoking, so I was wondering if anyone had any experience of this.

How did you help them? What worked/didn't work? How did you cope with their mood swings? etc.

Please post any advice you have here. Thanks so much!