Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Weight Watchers - Any good?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I am thinking about joining a weight loss group for the following reasons:
  1. I tend to find a lot of the clothes I like don't seem to do my size and this is embarrassing... I am embarrassed to show off a lot of my body as well
  2. I want to feel healthier and more confident
  3. I want to travel and to do so need to be in good condition
  4. I think I'd find running easier if I were lighter (I love running)...
  5. There are heart problems in my family, as well as cancer and mental illness. I am coming to the realisation that I HAVE to start taking care of myself!

For over a year now, I have been unhappy about my body (granted this has also been to do with issues such as not being able to afford new clothes or hair cuts at times as well as a bullying flat mate who I should not have listened to) and working in an office, I have started to feel unfit and felt my clothes get a bit tighter.

I am 5'3 and a size 16, but I have always been this size and at twenty six, am starting to get scared that I won't be able to lose weight. :no: I'd like to be a size 10-12 eventually and able to run 10K races.

I'm a vegan, I eat healthily a lot of the time... But I go through phases of binge eating, or I forget to bring food in to work and there's nothing I can have in the canteen but chips. I probably eat too much rice however and yeah, I love crisps and fizzy drinks.

I'm aware what foods are good for me and what aren't, but I have many bad habits and am looking for something I can stick to, as I achieve best under structure. I often feel demotivated, I have nobody to lose weight with and the gym is expensive, I am often knackered after work.

Somebody else who is vegan said Weightwatchers is good and I will be able to do it easily, with my lifestyle. I am certainly interested!

I was wondering if anybody else has been on Weightwatchers, what it is like and if it worked for them?

Comments

• Options
    Have a look on the vegan society website, there are a lot of lovely (healthy) recipes on there. And in the magazines too.
    I don't know about weight watchers though, sorry.
    Xx
  • Options
    I love weight watchers. I lost two stone with them a few years ago, and another stone since christmas. The first time I did it, I went to the meetings. This time I'm doing it alone but sticking to the points system. Not everyone likes it, but it suits me perfectly. Once you get to grips with the points system it's easy, and nothing is off limits as long as you count it so you don't feel restricted and like you're missing out, which is the factor that has made me break other diets.
    How long did it take to lose 2 stone?
  • Options
    About three months. I was quite shocked at how easy it was. I didn't put any back on either. The only reason I stopped going was because they moved the meeting to somewhere I couldn't get to. And it's taken me about eight weeks to lose a stone this time.
    Awesome :hyper:

I am hoping to pick up an outdoor sport in the spring as well, so hopefully it'll help.
  • Options
    i have a friend who went down from a size 12/14 to a size 8 after joining weight watchers. i think it took her about 6 months? i know she lost a good few stone.

she's kept it all off too.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Awesome :hyper:

I am hoping to pick up an outdoor sport in the spring as well, so hopefully it'll help.

:yes:

Regular exercise is really important for any weight loss plan. Taking up another sport / physical activity is a really good idea. Good luck.
  • Options
    I know quite a few people who have been to weight watchers or scottish slimmers and lost a lot of weight.

I've lost 2 stone in the past 2 years, simply by having taking in salads for lunch at work rather than eating rubbish. The amount of exercise I do hasn't changed either.

I think that it's good to have a support network there and WW allow you to meet other people that are in the same situation.
  • Options
    I'm currently doing WW and really, it's how much you want to put into it. I've been doing it for 14 months now, have lost 23kgs. I still want to lose another 15kgs by middle of the year, but right now, I feel at a plateau, kinda can't be bothered. Also, reaching this weight I am now, and having lost what I have lost, it takes longer now. Since Oct, I've only lost 3kgs. Kinda disappointing really. But over Xmas, I didn't go for 2 months. Didn't put anything on, but didn't lose either.

It just fell off in the first 6 months. I would like it to do that now. Alas. I find it is good, it's your choice for foods etc. My appetite has def shrunk compared to a year ago.

My stats: I am 5'8" or so. When I started I was 112.5kgs. I am now 89.5kg and want to be 75kg at most. I want to lose that extra 15kgs by July, and if I don't pull my head out of it, it will take longer.

But I do recommend it, as well as finding an exercise you like. I am lazy, but I love doing ceroc (dancing) and even pole dancing, but I've fucked my knee. Sigh.
  • Options
    Just got back from an awesome run :cool:

I think my biggest vice will be sugar in coffee... Mmmmm how I love my coffee. :p

Moving to a new place will be good good for me, as it can be a new beginning.

I have been in touch with a kayaking club as well, so waiting to hear back. I may also join a rambling group, so I can get back in to the country.

I have so much energy at the moment, I can only imagine it increasing with the weight I lose, as I get lighter and more confident.
  • Options
    well done on your run!!!! :D

are you going to try some of the weight watchers products namaste?

some of them are really nice. i had a weight watchers chocolate brownie ice cream type dessert tonight and it only had 163 calories in despite it being quite big! some of their products are really good! its great because you can have treats without feeling guilty!!!

i eat quite alot of weight watcher stuff :) especially the ready meals (the fresh ones though - the frozen ones aren't very nice i don't think)...they are easy to heat up at work when i'm on a late shift and ive been too lazy to prepare something to bring in!

can you not just use sweetener in your coffee instead of sugar? i can't have milk on my cereal without sugar but i use sweetener instead now and i can't tell the difference.

good luck with it all. i'm sure you'll do great! keep us updated on your progress!
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    I think my biggest vice will be sugar in coffee... Mmmmm how I love my coffee. :p

Namaste

Coffee was another of the things that I cut down on - more for the sake of my general health than to get slimmer. I'm down to a couple of cups a day tops, and I completely cut out sugar from my coffee. It took a wee bit of getting used to but I got there. Sweeteners cause me health issues, so I couldn't just switch to them.
  • Options
    WW is really good. My older sister did it before she moved to Europe and she lost 35 lbs... she got so used to their system that her whole lifestyle changed. She exercises regularly and eats their food but also cooks and makes her own food!
  • Options
    Well I doubt I can eat much of their food... But will give their plan a try.
  • Options
    Mr K does WW from time to time, and it's the least ridiculous of his faddy diets, cause he does eat real food in decent amounts, it just helps a lot with portion control and servings and things.

He doesn't go to meetings, and doesn't buy the branded food (doesn't trust it!), but just by following the points system he has seen pretty good results. Worth a try! :)
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    Mr K does WW from time to time, and it's the least ridiculous of his faddy diets, cause he does eat real food in decent amounts, it just helps a lot with portion control and servings and things.

He doesn't go to meetings, and doesn't buy the branded food (doesn't trust it!), but just by following the points system he has seen pretty good results. Worth a try! :)
    Yeh, my sister follows the points thing because she realised just how much she was eating. She only joined WW online because she wanted some recipes.

I don't think I could ever do it without going to meetings though. They would give me more motivation to actually do it properly.
  • Options
    i did it for about 5-6 months i think and lost just under 4 stone (have since put most of it back on!)
    I personally didnt go to the meetings, but weighed myself every friday morning, and then had that day as my 'treat' day. (like having a pizza for dinner or going to the pub for a few beers)

Im actually starting it again this week with my mum and a friend. Since ive done it before i know i cn do it again! I just kinda lost track over the last 2 years since i did it last and got back into my old bad habits. time to stop!!

i definately recommend it :)