Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Do I have a speech disorder?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When I speak, I am often asked to repeat myself.

According to "Feedback" I either muble - or talk to fast or quiet. Most often a combination of them.

It makes it very difficult to interact effectively but it sounds "normal" and understandable to me. Perhaps that's just because I know what I'm saying.

On top of that, I often find it hard to hear other people. I ask them to repeat, sometimes more than once, in circumstances they should not have to.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Boredoften,

Sorry to hear that you have been feeling this way about your speech. Seems like something that you have asked people about before, or certainly people have given you feedback about how you sound.

Have you ever asked anyone close to you and that you trust about this? Perhaps getting them to explain what difficulties, if any, they have?

Other than this, perhaps you could go to see your GP? They may be able to offer you some advice?

If you feel that you would like to practice talking more clearly then a good tip is to read a book out loud - just to yourself, and concentrate on speaking slowly.

Take care and keep posting - :)
  • Options
    Yes I just seem to slur words sometimes, it's like my tounge can go lazy or whatever. I can often notice it myself, a bit embarassing.