Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

ipods and...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
...jailbreaking (dun dun duuuun)

Has anyone gave this a go? i tried before but it failed and now my ipod is restoring...poor thing.

I have an ipod touch, i don't think its an MC model. I have itunes 3.1.3

I have downloaded redsn0w 0.9.4 and i have firmware 3.1.2 (which it says you need to jail break it)

I get nearly half way through and then it stops and doesn't go any further than the reboot window. which leaves me having to restore my ipod :mad:

any ideas as to whats going on, or any software that others have used? or should i just not jailbreak it?

Comments

• Options
    Why do you want to jailbreak an ipod? I can understand an iPhone but I am not sure of the advantages you will get for jailbreaking an iPod. Perhaps you can explain your reasons?

I believe redsnow was for an earlier version of the firmware. I think you need to use BlackRa1n for version 3.1.2
  • Options
    You can download a software that gets you all the apps for free. But I've been putting this off for a year I'm not sure if it's worth the risk.
  • Options
    Um .. I'm not sure that is right. You don't get 'all the apps for free'.

What happens when you use the jailbreak software is that you get a link called Cydia placed on the springboard.

Cydia is a repository for software, some is free and some you need to pay for, which usually are not available on the iTunes App Store because iTunes App Store do not think the software is suitable, or good enough or secure enough. It's not like you get full access to stuff in the App Store for free.

You can go to the Cydia website here : http://cydia.saurik.com/

I have a jailbroken iPhone and to be honest, I hardly use the Cydia applications. It's a hassle logging in because it updates each time and that then requires a reboot ... and the apps are hard to pick and choose because they aren't presented in a clear way like they do in the App Store. The only reason I really have a jailbroken iPhone is because I use the 'any network' facility rather than be tied into O2 etc.

Unless there is something that you are aware of in Cydia that you desperately need, I'd say it probably won't impress you. :)
  • Options
    Not all apps, but you can get a good few thousand (Not from Cydia, external repos). You get the same benefits of jailbreaking your iPod as you do a iPhone.

OP use blackra1n. It's easier to jailbreak, you press a button. Also bear in mind with 3.1.2, if you jail break everytime you turn your device off, you need to re-jailbreak it otherwise it asks to be plugged into iTunes. Don't use 3.1.3 unless you really have a need.

Cydia is shit, no lie. Rock is much better, but I still do use Cydia.
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    Cydia is shit, no lie. Rock is much better, but I still do use Cydia.
    Hmmm it used to be 'Installer' when I had an iPhone - has that gone now?
  • Options
    Yeah that's a dead release. It was used for 2.0 then it was discontinued, it was basically replaced by Icy, but Icy is dead too now. Which is when Rock came along as the domination, but that is dead too. It's still released as open-source and I still use it for faster access to my Cydia repos and stuff to update something quickly, but it is a dead release. There is only really Cydia now.
  • Options
    How come they all died then? Lack of development?
  • Options
    I assume so. Most came with the jailbreaking software, like Cydia to blackra1n. BR is the main jailbreaker now because of how easy and flawless it is.