Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Slightly weird question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Greetings,

What is the minimum period of time that a relationship can last before a break up that makes that relationship appear genuine?

It's just that I have been in a relationship for 4 months now and have realized that it was probably a mistake.

I didn't find her massively attractive before we started dating, but I went for it for the following reasons:

1) She really liked me
2) She was obviously lonely. No boyfriend, ever (she is 24) and V.
3) It had been over a year since my last relationship and I was getting bored with being single
4) I thought that attraction might develop later on.
5) My mates thought it was a good idea

Four months in and I am beginning to regret jumping in.

Our sex is catastrophic, to the extent that I come up with reasons not to do it. Now, I know that sex is not everything, and we do have some fun hanging out etc. but it feels kind of like we're just good mates, you know?

So, back to my original question. How long should I wait before breaking up with her, so that it seems to her like we gave it a good shot? 4 months seems too early to me, and I don't want to humiliate her by breaking up with her so soon. I want this to be at least a partially successful first boyfriend for her.

Anyway, thoughts welcome.

PS. It's good to be back here.

Comments

• Options
    McLovin wrote: »
    Greetings,

What is the minimum period of time that a relationship can last before a break up that makes that relationship appear genuine?

It's just that I have been in a relationship for 4 months now and have realized that it was probably a mistake.

I didn't find her massively attractive before we started dating, but I went for it for the following reasons:

1) She really liked me
    2) She was obviously lonely. No boyfriend, ever (she is 24) and V.
    3) It had been over a year since my last relationship and I was getting bored with being single
    4) I thought that attraction might develop later on.
    5) My mates thought it was a good idea

Four months in and I am beginning to regret jumping in.

Our sex is catastrophic, to the extent that I come up with reasons not to do it. Now, I know that sex is not everything, and we do have some fun hanging out etc. but it feels kind of like we're just good mates, you know?

So, back to my original question. How long should I wait before breaking up with her, so that it seems to her like we gave it a good shot? 4 months seems too early to me, and I don't want to humiliate her by breaking up with her so soon. I want this to be at least a partially successful first boyfriend for her.

Anyway, thoughts welcome.

PS. It's good to be back here.

Wow love the way you want her to think she had a good relationship, but been nice gets u no were!! the longer u leave it the more attatched she will be to u which will make the break 10 times harder! if a guy thought that about me id rather it be over, what u gonna do leave it until shes deeply in love with u!! lets face it its not gonna take long before that happens if ur her first partner! and its not fair on you! be honest tell her u think shes a great girl and u wanna be freinds but the relationship isnt working but your sure she will find another boyfreind soon xx
  • Options
    I agree with yase. She'll be more humiliated if she finds out you never really liked her and just felt sorry for her than if you're just honest with her. 4 months isnt too short a time I think, best to just get it over and done with before you hurt her even more.
  • Options
    Jesus, I think your a complete blooming arse, It is clear from your post you did not want to go out with her, and you had no attraction to her, that CAN not grow imo.

Ok I'll give you some credit, you do not want to hurt her but MY GOD, you went out with her because you were BORED of being single. You've literally used this girl. SO what if she was 24 and never had a boyfriend, THERE is nothing wrong with that, you make it seem like you were doing her a favour when in actual fact you've been screwing her around to relief your own boredom.

You need to break it off with her as soon as, it is not fair on her for you to be in a "relationship" where you do not care for the girl, This girl deserves someone A LOT better. I feel so sorry for her :( It saddens me that you actually think its okay to go out with someone because your bored of being single and ya mates said so and you pity her for being single and a virgin, your a stand up guy,:rolleyes: and no wonder guys get a bad reputation with people like you around.

SHIT im bored right now, a mate suggested I jump off a cliff, See ya :wave:

You need to end this as soon as possible and you do only seem to care about one thing, "looking authentic" so what no one gives you grief for using the girl. you say it is for her feelings you want it to look authentic but that is bullshit, from what I am reading your more interested in self preservation, making sure you do not look like a bad guy, well news flash YOU BLOOMING WELL ARE.

With regards to the sex front, if it is catastrophic only you are to blame, she was a virgin and learnt everything from you, you were suppose to help her, teach her and explore her body with her, if it is that bad, I think your just shit at sex.

I don't know what else to add except by god you really need to stop thinking about yourself and think about this poor girl, leave her immediately and leave her life, she deserves a damn lot better than someone like you.
  • Options
    Hellfire has been pretty blunt there but he's got a good point - you don't come out of all this looking great dude. I get that you're trying to be nice to her now, but the right thing to do would have been not to get involved with her in the first place. While you might think there is something strange or inadequate about being a virgin and never having had a relationship at age 24, you've given us no evidence to suggest (other than your assertion that she was "obviously lonely") that she felt desperate for a partner and would jump at the chance of being with anyone, no matter how little they liked or fancied her. Just because she was a virgin, doesn't mean she had so little self-respect or self-esteem that she would be happy for anyone, no matter how little attraction they felt for her, to shag her out of pity.

End it as soon as possible. Nobody wants their partner to be with them out of pity, and if she could read what you've said about her, she would ditch you instantly. Do it right away, and let her find someone else who actually likes her. Just because you find her unattractive, doesn't mean everyone will. And don't assume she'll be gutted - if the relationship is as shit as you say it is, she'll probably be relieved you've saved her the hassle of having to dump you first.
  • Options
    Great. Thanks for the thoughts.
  • Options
    Bad move, just break up with her, If u cant be a man and deal with the problems YOU made than u shuldnt of did it at all!!!
  • Options
    if i was this girl i would be releaved if you had dumped me. You obviously don't give a shit about anyone but yourself!!!! You are selfish to just go out without someone JUST because their a virgin, if you ask me it shows your a coward because she obviously wouldn't know if you were crap in bed or not(which you obviously are, you said the sex was shit!!) You don't deserve someone who cares about you if that's how you treat her. Put yourself in her place, would YOU LIKE IT IF A GIRL SHAGGED YOU OWTA PITY? exactly!! end it now for her sake!!!!!!:crying:
  • Options
    I don't think my response is as harsh as some of those above because, I think a lot of people go in to a relatioship because they are 'bored', only we don't phrase it like that. Be kind to her and break up with her gently. The sex isn't great but you enjoy hanging out, perhaps you could be friends instead of lovers?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    The sex isn't great but you enjoy hanging out, perhaps you could be friends instead of lovers?

In my experience at least 99.5% of the time this isn't an option. Maybe others have better luck?
  • Options
    ok. so i will say you care about her, but purely as a friend. tell her that. tell her thats how you felt from the beginning and u were hoping it would change but it didnt and it isnt going to. call ur self a dick. say ur just holding her back, that ur saving her from ur realationship that will just end badly for her. you dont want to hurt her but the longer u wait, the more shell fall for u, and the further shell fall wen it ends. the sooner the better.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I don't think my response is as harsh as some of those above because, I think a lot of people go in to a relatioship because they are 'bored', only we don't phrase it like that.

Exactly. I think some people have been a little harsh. Maybe it's not the best way to go about starting a relationship, but plenty of people go into relationships a bit half heartedly and a bit unsure just to see how things work out. In this case, it's obviously not working down so best to let her know sooner rather than later. Leaving it a couple of months just so it seems like you've give it more of a chance won't make her feel any better, it'll be hard for her whenever you do it. She won't think, oh well he was with me for 6 months, that's ok then. She'll probably be even more upset because you'll have been stringing her along and making her think it is going somewhere when it clearly isn't. Be honest, tell her you think you're better off as friends. Who knows, she might be thinking something similar.