Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

labour

i'm not pregnant before anybody asks! haha!

i've just watched this http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/default.html?ViewType=5&Filter=112807&intcmp=TT_112807

it was on last night.

the program has just totally freaked me out.

is labour THAT painful?

it scares me as i'm probably going to have children in the next 4-5 years. my fella wants 3-4 children but i don't reckon i'd ever be able to handle the pain.

an epidural isn't an option for me either as i'm ridiculously scared of needles!!! lol.

for those that have given birth, i'm asking, is it THAT bad? lol.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i havent watched it but might later.

Yeah labour is pretty much the most painful thing ever, but people do keep doing it again and again. Its just one of those things you do if you want a baby i guess.
    My first baby i had an epidural, but the last two I had at home with no pain relief at all. It fucking hurt, but it was also an amazing experience
  • Options
    what does it feel like though? is it like when you have a bad tummy ache (but obviously about ten times worse)?

does the epidural hurt? the thought of having a 6 inch needle put into my back (or whatever it is) freaks me out.

i was there when my mum gave birth to my little sister but i'm still ridiculously scared of child birth. the older i get, the more scared i get too because i know the time is getting closer!
  • Options
    well it starts off like bad period pains, then it gets worse and worse till its just agonising, and that goes on for hours and hours, and thats before you have to push the baby out. The labour pains are worse than the pushing baby out bit I think.

The epidural needle, you barely feel. I dont remember feeling it at all, but it was nearly 9 years ago i had it. it takes the pain away totally, so is great if you cant deal with pain, but it has other effects, like youre not in control and it increases the risk of needing forceps or ventouse, so thats why i didnt want one again. I also wanted to prove to myself that I could do it
  • Options
    I get scared too. Some women get lucky, my cousin just popped out within 3 hours apparently, my mum was so jealous that she had an easy time with her..ha. blah blah blah- the videos do make it look terrifying but I agree with SCC, women keep going back for more so it can't be all that bad/the pain is worth it in the end. I'm just glad it isnt like ye olden days..eurghh
  • Options
    Oh my god, I am so scared about childbirth!! I get bad enough period pains as it is!

Men really have no business saying getting kicked in the nuts hurts more
  • Options
    I watched it last night and actually said I never want to have a baby.
    But if a baby is something you really want then the pain will be worth it.
  • Options
    No thank you.
  • Options
    .Leanne. wrote: »
    But if a baby is something you really want then the pain will be worth it.

:yes:

IMO that's how you know you're ready. I always knew I wanted kids, but until relatively recently the idea of such treasures as labour and morning sickness put the willies up me big style.

When I started thinking how actually I thought I could probably cope, I knew it was the right time.

I'm still a bit scared, I know it's going to hurt like sweet holy hell, but that little plum-sized partly-formed creature is my child, and I'm their mother, and already I would do absolutely anything for them. Including performing an excruciating miracle of physics with my vajayjay :shocking:
  • Options
    Olive wrote: »

IMO that's how you know you're ready. I always knew I wanted kids, but until relatively recently the idea of such treasures as labour and morning sickness put the willies up me big style.

When I started thinking how actually I thought I could probably cope, I knew it was the right time.

I'm still a bit scared, I know it's going to hurt like sweet holy hell, but that little plum-sized partly-formed creature is my child, and I'm their mother, and already I would do absolutely anything for them. Including performing an excruciating miracle of physics with my vajayjay :shocking:

I forgot that you had the same phobia as me! You're gonna do great and be such a super mum :) I feel soppy now but :heart:
  • Options

I agree. I know one day when I'm ready and truly want a child I wont be put off by the pain but right now, noo way!:eek:
  • Options
    I forgot that you had the same phobia as me! You're gonna do great and be such a super mum :) I feel soppy now but :heart:

:heart:

I was actually more terrified by the idea that I might hurl every day for 2 months than I was about actually giving birth. Talk about facing your fear!
  • Options
    :heart:

I was actually more terrified by the idea that I might hurl every day for 2 months than I was about actually giving birth. Talk about facing your fear!

same! but it's a comfort to know that there are anti nausea tablets you can take and not all women get morning sickness seems such a relief to me. i'll be rooting for you! :thumb:
  • Options
    i hate pregnancy much more than labour
  • Options
    A friend of mine had a really horrible pregnancy, but despite all the pain, sickness and other problems she had, she said it was all worth it and is now pregnant with her second baby.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    i hate pregnancy much more than labour

God yes.

I hated being pregnant. With a passion. But when in labour you know your babba is just about there.

Also, I did it with just gas and air. I didn't want an epidural and, as it happens, there wouldn't have been time for one. Also, you wouldn't really care about the size of the needle or whatever given how much pain you are in, if you are at the stage of demanding an epidural.

A lot of people say that you forget the pain once you have the baby in your arms. That's not at all true, but once babba is here you realise how much it was worth it.
  • Options
    argh, sorry to dig up an old thread but is anyone watching the program on channel 4 right now called "one born every minute". its scaring me so much!

i want 3 or 4 kids but it looks so painful!!!!

eta: i shouldn't watch these programs.

the girls on them make it out to be much harder than my mum did. i was there when my mum gave birth to my little sister 5 years ago. she only used gas & air and was laughing most of the time right up until the point she came out! she was like "its easy". the girls on these shows look like they are in so much pain though :( it actually does really scare me.
  • Options
    i REALLY want children but the thought of giving birth actually really scares me. to the point that whenever i think about it i get all panicky. its always been a fear of mine and its getting worse now that my body clock is ticking and i know that i'll probably be having kids in the next few years.

it just all really frightens me. i'm a bit ashamed to admit that but i am! :(
  • Options
    i know what you mean like it looks soo horrible but whenever i think about it i just think look what you get out of the end of it, you get a real life human that comes out of you! your own little baby so even though it looks so painful its worth it. plus i try and think about how many millions of women have babies, they keep on doing it so it obviously doesnt put them off :]

when my cousin had a baby she described her labour as the worst period pain you've ever had, times ten million. which sounds lovely. haha.
  • Options
    I also hated pregnancy more than labour, I'm planning my second! It's not as bad as it looks but sayin tha. I had just gas n sir n it was over with in 4 hours!
  • Options
    Can I just add... On the sex ed vids at school the baby of this women just pops out. Litteraly, it's like "she is in labour" and then two minutes later "The midwife is weighing the baby"
    It's stupid.
    Xx
  • Options
    I am sure the pain is terrible and it must be very scarey to see other women going through it and know that one day it will be you, but what an amazing experiance it must be right from the start feeling that little person growing inside you then actually giving birth to a new life. I think women are actualy pretty lucky and priveliged to be able to experiance that. Makes you wonder why the pain has to be so great though
  • Options
    i tried watching one born every minute last week, but couldnt watch it as i kept crying, and thats with me having given birth 3 times.

Seeing just labour without the context of the emotions and the feelings of wanting to have your baby, doesnt make sense. Its only the half of it
  • Options
    I might just be weird, but i actually feel more reassured after watching it! I've watched things before that were more traumatic.

I realise it's going to hurt, but really I haven't got a great deal of choice in the matter, so i don't worry about it. Not for a couple of months, anyway :p
  • Options
    apparently my cousin just slipped out and the only sound was a quiet 'ooh' when she did from my aunt. i tell my cousin she came out like a big poo.
  • Options
    am i right in assuming bigger babies hurt? lol.

my grandad was 14lbs (so a stone!!!!!!) when he was born. both me and my fella are tall so i'll probably have big babies. argh!

i was 6lbs 6oz even though i was born 4 weeks early!
  • Options

I don't think it's the main factor. Unless it's a HUGE baby.

I was 6lb 6ish, and my older brother was 7lb 8, and my mum struggled more with me just because I was in a more awkward position and her labour with me didn't progress as quickly. She also said that she found it easier pushing with him because there was more of him to get her weight behind. And she tore a bit with me but not at all with him.

All the talk of my mum's undercarriage did make me a bit :sour:
  • Options
    I everyone copes differently with labour you just don't know what it will feel like for you so there is no point worrying about it - i found the lack of sleep far more traumatic than the actual pain which although it did hurt was more like toothache than period pains.

I also think that if you go into labour thinking its going to be awful then your more tense and then it will hurt more - its better to just think of it as an exciting adventure - i was excited about giving birth definately think that you should view it as a positive experience.

Also some people do have pain free labours my friend did - she woke up at 5 am with contraction (on her due date) and had a baby by 9!
  • Options
    I love watching this!!!

I can remember being in labour and thinking 'I wish people are right and that the pain goes away straight after the baby' and it did :) I said as soon as she was born I would/will do it again! Yes it does hurt, but its over and you have this beautiful baby :heart::heart:

I cant wait to do it again:D
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    Men really have no business saying getting kicked in the nuts hurts more

Being kicked in the nuts hurts more :D
  • Options

my grandad was 14lbs (so a stone!!!!!!) when he was born. both me and my fella are tall so i'll probably have big babies. argh!

i was 6lbs 6oz even though i was born 4 weeks early!

all babies hurt. the contractions are the same whatever the size of the baby, but yeah, Felix was 10lb and that was pretty damn intense when it came to the pushing stage. I was convinced i was going to break in two. Seriously. Really intense, but then again, I didnt have any pain relief.
    My other two babies were 6lb 2, and 7lb 11.
    Size of the baby had no bearing on how good a birth it was. In fact felix was the best birth because i had the best midwife and i felt so empowered even though it hurt the most.
    Lenny I needed the most painkillers, yet he was the smallest.