Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Canon Hack Development Kit (CHDK)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone use this software? It works for Canon compact cameras. Install it to the memory card and it runs on the camera. The best features I've found so far are allowing me to save images in RAW format (instead of just JPEG) and produce images in bracketed exposures for HDR. There are loads of other cool things you can do with it.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

I'm using it on a Powershot G7. Here is a list of supported models. The installation is fairly straightforward, but slightly more complicated if you have a memory card > 4 GB.

Disclaimer: use at your own risk, etc.

Comments

• Options
    Oooh.... the RAW bit sounds nice - but I've no idea what a bracketed exposure is (well... except I did know what it was once)
  • Options
    It takes a set of images at different exposures. E.g. I have it set so it takes one image at the current exposure, then takes images at slightly lower and slightly higher shutter speeds. This allows you to increase the dynamic range (from dark to light) captured by the camera... see here.