Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Can someone tell me how you knew you were in love?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been with my current BF for just over a year with a few break ups in between, the longest break up was 3 Months and it was pure hell on both of us although we remained friends on-line. It wasn't until I had a week long trip planned that it hit me and I called him while I was away and had no computer access and as soon as I returned we met for dinner & talked, initially we didn't get back together but soon afterwards we did :) . Having had very few relationships I am not sure if this is love or not. So I was just wondering how do you know for sure? What are the signs? Please share your stories......

:love:

Comments

• Options
    Tbh.. I think you just know when its love. It feels perfect, you can't explain it in words and every time you think of them, they become your world. For me, thats how I know I'm in love.
  • Options
    when you think about life without them , does it feel like an elephant has stood on your chest?
  • Options
    I echo Young and Broken's response. True love produces very physical symptoms. When it happens, you will just know. Speaking for myself, in the early days of our relationship, I just didn't function properly without my man. Anytime we were apart, I ran at half speed, daydreaming about seeing him again. Now, 15 years on, I can manage ok when we're apart, but it still feels like half of me is missing.
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    when you think about life without them , does it feel like an elephant has stood on your chest?

This too. Good analogy!
  • Options
    Agree also with Big Gay. Brilliant way to explain it! :)
  • Options
    you just know
  • Options
    :yes:

i agree with SCC. theres just no way of describing when you know to be completely honest. its probably different for every person.
  • Options
    When they leave you and your heart breaks. Thats when you know.
  • Options
    In loooove

If you can go out for a romantic meal together.
    If you can talk about anything and everything (even bodily functions!!):blush:
    If you can sit and play games together.
    If you can wear your tracksuit bottoms and hoody.
    If you can talk on the phone for hours.
    If you can be around his family comfortably.
    If you can be with your friends and his friends with him.
    And if you entirely comfortable and yourself around him. I think :heart:
  • Options
    Thanks sooo much :heart:

I just feel so incomplete without him, I think thats the best description of how I feel. I think of him almost constantly and we do have an amazing relationship, our lives are an open book to oneanother, there is nothing we can't talk about. Leaving on that trip to do something I love to do (my main hobby) and feeling completely homesick about leaving is where it actually sunk in for me. I really feel alone when we are not together and once we are together that feeling completely changes, he makes me sooo happy! I hate living apart but we spent our first night together the other night and it was pure hell.......no sleep for either of us. Im almost 46 and am having hot flashes, mood swings etc, we are both very light sleepers.....OMG! It's hell apart or together!
  • Options
    I echo Young and Broken's response. True love produces very physical symptoms. When it happens, you will just know. Speaking for myself, in the early days of our relationship, I just didn't function properly without my man. Anytime we were apart, I ran at half speed, daydreaming about seeing him again. Now, 15 years on, I can manage ok when we're apart, but it still feels like half of me is missing.

Thanks...yep this describes how I feel......
  • Options
    BabyB wrote: »
    If you can go out for a romantic meal together.
    If you can talk about anything and everything (even bodily functions!!):blush:
    If you can sit and play games together.
    If you can wear your tracksuit bottoms and hoody.
    If you can talk on the phone for hours.
    If you can be around his family comfortably.
    If you can be with your friends and his friends with him.
    And if you entirely comfortable and yourself around him. I think :heart:

I think we need to work on the Family part but all the rest is no problem.
  • Options
    Oh. And did I mention that love is not logical. If your heart told you that Mr Toad was the man for you, you'd love him ... warts and all! And, though you couldn't ignore his reptilian appearance, you would convince your most sceptical of friends of his inner beauty.
  • Options
    I agree with Big Gay and SCC. You just know. I knew from day one, before we were even together.

Also, love is definitely when you are fully able and comfortable to poop when your OH is in the room :p.
  • Options
    just do what feels good. Do you think every person on this planet has the same definition of love? Do you think the abused wife who can't leave her deadbeat husband defines love the same as the sixteen year old midpuberty guy who cheats on his gf, just because he gets the chance even tho he promised her to marry her some years down the line?

fuck love, if you like the feeling and want to be with him call it love if you will, but don't do something against your consciousness just because someone might not call it love what you have going on.
  • Options
    Brilliantly said, Stubbles.
  • Options
    Brilliantly said, Stubbles.

agreed
  • Options
    Charmers wrote: »
    I've been with my current BF for just over a year with a few break ups in between, the longest break up was 3 Months and it was pure hell on both of us although we remained friends on-line. It wasn't until I had a week long trip planned that it hit me and I called him while I was away and had no computer access and as soon as I returned we met for dinner & talked, initially we didn't get back together but soon afterwards we did :) . Having had very few relationships I am not sure if this is love or not. So I was just wondering how do you know for sure? What are the signs? Please share your stories......

:love:

i dont think it matters. if ur happy stay together and u will no at some point u cant really explain hoe but u will no... if ur not sure ask yourself wot life wud b like without him... if the answer is unbearable then u no u def love him.:thumb: nipped!
  • Options
    Does it really matter if you're in love? If you can seriously see yourself being with this person forever, then isn't that good enough? There's no point trying to label everything.
  • Options
    I fell in love, once and only once - thus far.

I'm of the conviction that if I truely loved the person I fell in love with - that I will never feel the same way about anyone. Since my absence from that person, I've felt a real void. A lack of something I've never been able to put my finger on. I'm yet to know the effect of truely loving a someone past the first, and actually feel a disinterest in the whole thing. I'd rather wait for someone I mutualy related to and can have fun with, or be single. Though, it wouldn't be the same.

When you really love someone, you build your world around them - they are your foundation. When they're gone, everything colapses. You can functionally recover, but it's never the same again. It's like earth disappearing, and everything on it is left hanging. Atleast that's how it was for me.

My idea is that "love" is just an ideal derrived from our first experiences of "it". From that we draw our expectations on those who fit the preset criteria. As miserable as it sounds, thats the only way I can rationalise it now, and the amount of time, effort and emotion I invested in one person.