Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Stupid coughy thingy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i've had a HIDEOUS cough for ages, like over a month, and it's getting worse, and it's SO annoying. LIke I start coughing, and then I just can't stop for ages, and it's horrible.
I'm quite asthmatic, so I've been taking preventer inhaler, as well as cough medecine stuff, and none of it's made any difference.
I went to my doctor, and she just said to increase my dose of preventer inhaler thingy, but it's still there, and not getting better.
There's always a horrible whiny noise in my chest, i can hear it, and when i cough a lot, i sometimes just don't have the energy to cough any more so i'm just there not really able to breathe properly.
and yeah, it'll probably go away once the weather is warmer and drier, but that's ages away and i want it to go now!

sorry for the moan, but if anyone knows what'll help it go away, that would be lovely :)
thanks xx

Comments

• Options
    Hi grace :wave:

Sounds horrid! Feeling pretty sorry for you - I hate being ill.

Boring answer I know but perhaps you need to go back to the docs and get some more advice...doesn't sound like her first suggestion has done the trick.

Take care
  • Options
    Pfft cough medicine. Waste of time IMHO. Honey and hot lemon juice always seems to work for me.

If it's whiny sound then it's more likely to be that your airways are closing in which case an inhaler is likely to work hence why the GP suggested it. I would still advise that you return though bcause it's been a long time that you've had it and so it's worth checking again. It's possible that you need a different inhaler.
  • Options
    I've got asthma and I get like this around certain animals due to allergies, I got soooooooo fed up of taking my blue and brown inhalers and neither of them doing a thing. I went to the doctor and asked for a newish inhaler called Symbicort after my uncle who has asthma recommended it. It is absolutely brilliant, I take it instead of the brown one and have the blue incase I need it but never have because the Symbicort inhaler is so effective. Ask your doc for it, my doctor never mentioned it even though I mentioned that my asthma was effecting me alot, I had to specifically ask for it.
  • Options
    Fruit Loop wrote: »
    I went to the doctor and asked for a newish inhaler called Symbicort after my uncle who has asthma recommended it.

Sorry, how do you pronounce this??

thank you everyone :)

x