Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cut too deep, help please! (*may be triggering*)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Last night I cut myself and I did it deeper and longer than I meant to. It's on my outer thigh and is 8 inches long and probably about 5mm deep at it's deepest. It bled quite a bit for the first 10-15 minutes and then has just been oozing since. I had a bandage over it today and I didn't have to change it, so it's slowed down a bit. This evening I tried some steri-strips, but due to the length and location of it they aren't holding at all and the skin won't stay together.

So my question is - will I be ok if I just leave the wound open and keep it clean and bandaged? I do not want to go to the A&E (UK equivalent to the ER) and am going to avoid it at all costs. The other cutting I've done in the past has always been very superficial and barely bled, so I'm freaking out a bit. Hopefully enough to prevent myself from self-harming again. And I am seeking help psychologically and trying to get put back on anti-depressants already, I just don't want an A&E visit. I don't think I could handle it.

Any help at all would be welcomed. I haven't told anyone in real life that I've started self harming, so I don't have anyone else to ask for help.

Comments

• Options
    Heyy,
    I would go to A and E- I have been before when I've cut myself too deep. If it is still bleeding it needs medical attention NOW really. It is good you tried to deal with it yourself, but they will be able to help you more in hospital.
    If you really can't go, but I think you should, then keep it clean.
    Also, it is very good you are getting help for depression, but they will be able to help you more if you are honest and get medical help if and when you need it.
    Xx
  • Options
    Hiya

I hope you're feeling a bit better now....

Ermm, I do think its quite important that you get this seen to... I know A&E can be a bit scary, but what about going to a walk-in centre - they might be able to treat you there. You can find your nearest one on this page. What worries you about going to A&E, have you had a bad experience in the past?

If you're not going to go see someone, I suggest calling NHS direct on 0845 4647. They'll be able to give you the best advice. I know you said the bleeding has mostly stopped, but if its still an open wound the risk of infection will be quite high, so keep it clean etc.

Good to hear you're seeking help. Have you thought about telling a friend or family member what you are going through? Might help to have someone close to talk to.

Take care
  • Options
    Thank you both so much for your replies.

The reason I don't want to go to A&E is because I haven't told anyone about this, and I'm not ready to, especially people I don't know. And I've scared myself shitless this time, so hopefully I won't cut anymore, and maybe no one will ever have to know. I also have no family in the UK, and very few friends over here I would trust to tell, none of whom live in London. So I'll feel even more alone sitting in an A&E waiting area, waiting to be seen because I can't control myself, then if I just stay home and pretend it didn't happen.

And besides the general shame and stupidity I feel for this already, at my age, 25, I feel like I should know better (of course I understand that depression and self harm is not an age dependent thing), and I'm terrified my course at uni will find out, and then the place where I'm interning will find out, etc. etc. Even though I understand there is confidentiality there the paranoia is rampant.

The bleeding has stopped now, even though the wound is still open. So I've used an antiseptic wipe on it and bandaged it. If I don't feel it has improved any in the morning. Maybe I'll force myself to go to the A&E.

Thanks again. It means a lot knowing there are people out there who want to help me.