Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

unhappy with treatment at a hospital

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

Basically I fell down some steps and have really hurt the top of my foot on sun, There is minimal swelling but when I have broke other bones I haven't had swelling.

I went to hospital today as it was getting really painful and I didnt sleep last night coz it was so painful! When I saw the DR he refused to do an xray or a proper examination as I could put some weight on it for more than 4 steps and instead just said its a sprain or you have torn a ligament. Here is some crutches, rest it and keep weight off for a few days and then it will be ok.

Surely he cant tell me its not broken by not examining it or xraying it? I am only asking as I don't want to go back to be told the same thing but I am in sooo much pain it is unbeliveable and I can't use the stupid crutches properly!

Has anyone else experienced this? Will it stop hurting soon, coz I am sooo tired it is beyond. I cant take anything stronger than paracetamol as im allergic to codine and ibroprofen.

I guess what I am asking in a long rambling way is have any of you experienced this i.e. a dr not examining an injury or have you had a sprain and can advise me on how long it will take to stop hurting so i can sleep again!

Thanks

AFA

Comments

• Options
    I'd go back again and you will most likely see somebody else, explain your story and they will do something about it. If not then at the very least go to your Dr's tomorrow.

Otherwise to make a complaint go to the PALS office in the hospital and they will help you out and guide you through it.
  • Options
    When I saw the DR he refused to do an xray or a proper examination as I could put some weight on it for more than 4 steps and instead just said its a sprain or you have torn a ligament. Here is some crutches, rest it and keep weight off for a few days and then it will be ok.

Surely he cant tell me its not broken by not examining it or xraying it?

Yes he can, and actually you being able to walk on it is a pretty good indicator. Having said that I would have expected a little manipulation to check your movement generally.

On a general point, why do people think having an xray is a good thing? Most breaks can actually be diagnosed without an xray and the xray mean you are exposed to radiation. If you can avoid that when it's not needed, why wouldn't you?

Then add in the fact that someone has to do it, interpret it, write a report for your medical records and, of course, store the image. So, now you have a cost implication when none is necessarily clinically warranted.
  • Options
    Erm, if you have torn your ligaments shouldn't there be some treatment for that?

My mum fell down some steps years ago and tore the ligaments in her foot and because it wasn't set properly she still has problems with it 13/14years on
  • Options
    There's also the point to consider that for a toe injury, whether you've bruised it, sprained it or brokem it the threatment is the same so the detail doesn't actually make much difference.
  • Options
    just from the medical side: I don't know where exactly the injury is, but if the bone should really be broken I can almost guarantee you that there is no way you could walk with it.

The denied diagnostics are and outrage (didn't quite understand why he didn't) and I would file for a complain or something.

again on the medical side tho: if it's not broken there is nothing he can really do. You don't need a cast or anything else. I had many injuries in my leg due to football and all you can really do is give it time and not to strain the limb in question. tears in ligaments or small fissures in bones need time to heal. So all you do is wait for it to heal and use the crutches not to strain the foot. In case of pain you can take some painkillers, but there isn't anything else a doctor can do for your convalescence.

About the injury: There is really no point in telediagnosing your leg, since i haven't seen it and I'm not a doctor, but experience showed me, that sprained ankles usually take around 1-2 weeks before you can kind of use them without pain. This doesn't mean the healing is complete. I had a fissure in my ankle joint over 6 years ago and sometimes I still feel it, especially if I overstrain the ankle by accident.
  • Options
    There's also the point to consider that for a toe injury, whether you've bruised it, sprained it or brokem it the threatment is the same so the detail doesn't actually make much difference.

It's not my toe, its the very top of my foot at the front like the bit before your ankle.

Thanks for all the advice, I have been resting it and I dont have work tonight so hopefully I will be able to rest it more.
  • Options
    Amira wrote: »
    Erm, if you have torn your ligaments shouldn't there be some treatment for that?

Anti inflamatory medication and erm... that's pretty much it really.

You may choose to used some support for the injured limb in question but there is little evidence to suggest that it really offers any clinical benefit but more psychological support - almost like the placebo effect.

Sometimes resting the joint is also suggested but again that's more about reducing pain. The reality is that the limb will need streghtening and you cannot get that from not using it.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    The denied diagnostics are and outrage (didn't quite understand why he didn't) and I would file for a complain or something.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. If it's a denied xray then it's worth mentioning that you don't have a "right" to an xray.
  • Options
    For your peace of mind, you should go back to the hospital and tell the doctors what you are thinking about their service. You have to insist on the xray if that is the only way to know the truth. Remember that precaution is better than cure and of course we don't want to have complications here. Indianapolis Hospitals