Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

New York

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'm going to New York in May :hyper: The flights and hotel are booked, and I've just booked tickets to see The Lion King :hyper:

Would be grateful for any tips/info from anyone who has been;

1) We aren't sure what to do about transport to/from airport/hotel?
2) Is the subway easy to use, I've only had to use the london underground a couple of times and my hubby never has so we're quite new to this (just the two of us going)
3) We are thinking of going to the Museum of Natural History (is that from the film Night at the Museum?) And want to do things like go to Stratton Island and go to Ground Zero and Central Park and generally look at various buildings (I'm gonna stand outside the Plaza Hotel cos I'm such a fan of Home Alone 2!). Is there anything that really stands out as worth doing or not worth doing? Not just out of the things I have mentioned but anything really.
4) We are going for 5 nights. How much spending money is realistic?
5) Feel free to add any useful tips/information. We want to have the best time possible!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I wrote a post about NYC once here:

http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showpost.php?p=2262050&postcount=2

Couple of things to add:

The subway is very easy to use, you'll get the hang of it in no time. Prob best stick to taxis at night though.

Don't waste your time going up Empire State Building - I queued for an hour and a half!
  • Options
    jamelia wrote: »
    Don't waste your time going up Empire State Building - I queued for an hour and a half!

Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiis.

It's not so bad during the day (and if you're going in May it would probably even better since I went in July when it was heatwaaaaaaaaaave), but at night? Don't even think about it. We went up there during the day and then my stepdad, being a megatourist, decided that he wanted a quick trip up at night. We waited for about two hours. It was horrible and not worth it.
  • Options
    i've never been to new york (and it doesn't look as though i ever will unless i go with friends because my boyfriend has been 3 times before and doesn't want to go again :grump:) buttttttt i just thought i'd say that the lion king musical is AMAZINGGGGGGG :heart: i saw it in london and would love to see it again :D

have a good time :thumb:
  • Options
    Oh and also, Ground Zero, while wonderfully symbolic, is not much to look at and honestly, unless you have a connection to it, not worth going to. I found it boring as hell, but that's just me.

Statue of Liberty is alright, not as big as you'd expect, and she looks a bit like a man. Ellis Island is amazing though and they're on the same boat trip so you might as well.

Central Park is HUGE, so if you're planning on walking round it I'd wear decent shoes. There is a bus tour that goes round the whole perimeter though.

Speaking of bus tours, it is worth it. Unless your bus breaks down like ours did or you get an annoying tour guide who repeatedly says 'As we proceed....' while you are STUCK IN TRAFFIC. Er...yeh. But ours took us over Brooklyn Bridge and it was pretty cool.

We saw a baseball game while we were there (Mets vs Yankees at Shea Stadium) which was pretty cool to watch even though I didn't have a clue what was going on.

Times Square is pretty and is a really good reference point if you get lost.
  • Options
    definitely go to times square at night, that was the point i got the most excited at because i've seen it in films so many times :D all the shops are open late, they have an awesome toys r us and a huuuge virgin megastores, they're the ones i can think of from the top of my head.

i echo what people said about the empire state building... we decided to go up it at night cos its meant to be an amazing view, we had the tickets but every night it was raining and rubbish weather, finally went up it the last night cos we had to use the tickets up and you couldnt see anything! only mist! was well disappointed. it was just like looking into clouds haha.
  • Options
    sorry, haven't got anything useful to say but.....i really |REALLy want to go!!